Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?)

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #1  

NIdaho

Bronze Member
Those of you that live where it gets cold (below zero Fahrenheit) -- What do you do for diesel fuel mixtures for your tractors for winter time?

I had a B7100DT for about 15 years and the guy that I bought it from told me that for winter time use to use a 5 gallon diesel can and fill it from 1/3 to 1/2 full of #1 diesel and then fill it the rest of the way with #2 diesel. I always used a dose of either PowerService (white bottle) or Howes treatement as well. In all the time I had the B7100 I never had a problem with starting in cold weather or the fuel (other than running out of fuel a couple of times).

Last spring I got a new B3200 and I pushed some snow with it for the first time last Sunday. (Boy the B3200 is nice!) Anyway, I noticed that I am down to about half a tank on the tractor and should think about picking up some diesel for the cold weather. The coldest I have seen it here was in the -30's F (1968) but we have only been in the -10's F the last 10 or so years.

So what do most of you use?
Treated (P/S or Howes) #2 Diesel?
Straight #1 Diesel?
Mixture of #1 and #2 Diesel?
Other?

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #2  

Whatever worked in the 6100 will work for the 3200.

I use a heavy dose (1.5-2 x recommended) of the PS white bottle. Per the manufacturer, double and triple dosing of PS does no harm.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #3  
Power Service white bottle now uses a single dose for any season. Per bottle instructions, a single dose is equal to 50/50 mix of #1/#2. You can't get any easier than that! But I do round up to the next ounce when measuring. 2 oz of PS per 5 gallons of diesel. As the temps get colder the diesel will already be mixed from the pumps but I add the PS too.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #4  
I'm not worried about the tractor, if it gets below zero, I'm staying close to the wood stove! The tractor can fend for itself :D

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #5  
Those of you that live where it gets cold (below zero Fahrenheit) --
1*What do you do for diesel fuel mixtures for your tractors for winter time?

I had a B7100DT for about 15 years and the guy that I bought it from told me that for winter time use to use 2*a5 gallon diesel can and fill it from 1/3 to 1/2 full of #1 diesel and then fill it the rest of the way with #2 diesel.
3*I always used a dose of either PowerService (white bottle) or Howes treatement as well. In all the time I had the B7100 I never had a problem with starting in cold weather or the fuel (other than running out of fuel a couple of times).
Last spring I got a new B3200 and I pushed some snow with it for the first time last Sunday. (Boy the B3200 is nice!) Anyway, I noticed that I am down to about half a tank on the tractor and should think about picking up some diesel for the cold weather. The coldest I have seen it here was in the -30's F (1968) but we have only been in the -10's F the last 10 or so years.

So what do most of you use?
Treated (P/S or Howes) #2 Diesel?
Straight #1 Diesel?
5*Mixture of #1 and #2 Diesel?
6*Other?
1*Winter blend if I'm out of fuel but just continue using the summer blend if i'm not out out of fuel.
In either case I mix a quart of PS in each 55 gallon of diesel
2*You should never mix #1 and #2.
3*White Bottle is what I use too.
5*Never do that .
6*I just use what ever fuel's in season .

Power Service white bottle now uses a single dose for any season. Per bottle instructions, a single dose is equal to 50/50 mix of #1/#2. You can't get any easier than that! But I do round up to the next ounce when measuring.
7*2 oz of PS per 5 gallons of diesel.
8*As the temps get colder the diesel will already be mixed from the pumps.
7*When I was using 5 gallon cans before building my fuel system I was putting 3 ounces of Power Service white bottle per can.
8*This is why you don't mix 1 and 2 diesel or kerosine with diesel.

Last edited:
   / Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #6  
1*Winter blend if I'm out of fuel but just continue using the summer blend if i'm not out out of fuel.
In either case I mix a quart of PS in each 55 gallon of diesel
2*You should never mix #1 and #2.
3*White Bottle is what I use too.
5*Never do that .
6*I just use what ever fuel's in season .

7*When I was using 5 gallon cans before building my fuel system I was putting 3 ounces of Power Service white bottle per can.
8*This is why you don't mix 1 and 2 diesel or kerosine with diesel.

LBrown- why can't you mix 1 and 2 ? Also If your fuel has gelled with winter mix and no 911 bottle on hand, kerosene will solve your issues. SO tell me why you can't use kerosene? farmers have been doing this for years! Since you live in ohio and temps don't regularly fall below 0 doesnt help others with thier tractors that needs to be run in cold temps and they will need to do whatever it takes to get it up and running.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #7  
I use the PS white bottle when it starts gettng cold, like close to zero then if it gets to about 10 below I add more to the winter blend from the pump. I have had my truck gel up with that blend so when it gets real cold like 20 or 30 below i add straight #1 to the tank about half and half. Seems to do the trick.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #8  
1*LBrown- why can't you mix 1 and 2 ? Also If your fuel has gelled with winter mix and no 911 bottle on hand, kerosene will solve your issues. SO tell me why you can't use kerosene? farmers have been doing this for years! Since you live in ohio and temps don't regularly fall below 0 doesnt help others with thier tractors that needs to be run in cold temps and they will need to do whatever it takes to get it up and running.
1*Because The Kero has already been added to the fuel you get from the pump.
I use the PS white bottle when it starts gettng cold, like close to zero then if it gets to about 10 below I add more to the winter blend from the pump. I have had my truck gel up with that blend so when it gets real cold like 20 or 30 below
1*i add straight #1 to the tank about half and half. Seems to do the trick.
1*But you don't end up with a half and half mix because you just added Kero to diesel which all ready had the Kero added.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #9  
If you are not sure you can add K1 2 qts to every 5 gals if it gets real cold you can run straight K1 I have done it for years.the only difference you will notice a little less power I have done this in my tractors .cars ,truck,dozer,backhoe,etc My Dodge Cummins can run diesel.K1.JetA,JetA1,Jp5,Jp8.
Some stations do not have a large turnover of fuel and the summer blend could well be in there long into the winter months,and the clerks behind the counter have no idea of whats in the tank.

/ Fuel Mixture for Winter? (#1 and #2 mixture?) #10  
If you are not sure you can add K1 2 qts to every 5 gals if it gets real cold you can run straight K1 I have done it for years.the only difference you will notice a little less power I have done this in my tractors .cars ,truck,dozer,backhoe,etc My Dodge Cummins can run diesel.K1.JetA,JetA1,Jp5,Jp8.
Some stations do not have a large turnover of fuel and the summer blend could well be in there long into the winter months,and
1* the clerks behind the counter have no idea of whats in the tank.
And you don't have any idea of what's in your tank when you mix it like that.