Diesel additive, is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #81  
Well my supplier dumps 1000gal of red in the farm tank then pulls over to the house and fills the heating tank from the same batch.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #82  
Well my supplier dumps 1000gal of red in the farm tank then pulls over to the house and fills the heating tank from the same batch.
WHAT:eek: No kidding! Hmmmm...... yup, diesel fuel grade is a sham!!!! This exact thing happens all over the north American continent....no.2 fuel for heating oil, Obviously were there is oil stoves and diesel fuel anyhow:D

/ Diesel additive, is it a must?
Well, there are certainly enough answers to clarify the subject, or maybe too much! I'm more confused than before. There is only one diesel pump at my preferred station and I believe its pump number 4! ;)

I certainly did not expect that many replies from this thread and it sure sounds like an R4 vs R1 vs Turf discussion. I especially see the need for additives when people keep diesel in a storage tank for 31 years :). In my case, its being renewed every months or so.

Will I use additives in the future? I may wait to suffer from the conscequences then the answer will become obvious :cool:

Thanks to all for the great info!
I wish you all an Happy New Year and Happy Freezing to some of us!

Cheers,

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #84  
I've got a 200gal tank of heating oil - surplus after switching to electric heat. Can I burn that in my JD5300?
Heating oil IS diesel fuel, so yes
JayC

You guys must use #2 diesel. #2 diesel has a cloud point of about + 40 F, so gelling at +10 F would be logical. The simple solution is to use #1 diesel with a cloud point of -40 F. Gelling will not occur until the temperature gets below -40 F.
Right now #1 dieasel is the only thing avalable around here.

Anywhere in the northern states they use a winter mix 1*(think it has more kersosene in it which doesn't gel like diesel).
2*Truck stops are best source as they turn over the diesel a lot quicker than the corner store.
I have a diesel pu that I don't add anything to but I DO use additive in my tractor because I use my home 3*heating oil in that and I'm not sure if THAT's a winter blend.
1*All it is is summer diesel with Kero in it .
2*My fuel comes from a Bulk Plant that supplies 3 different suppliers.
3*Diesel and HHO is the same most places so yes it would be treated .

1*
Not necessarily.
When we get heating fuel for the tank in the basement it is not treated.
1*How does dumping it in the tractor make it any different ?

I also wonder this, if anyone knows.
Burning heating oil in one's very late model tractor with Ultra Low requirement and warnings against higher sulphur content.
* Is this alright?
**What is the sulphur level of heating oil, if anyone knows.
***- Could one difference, amongst possible others, between heating oil and #2 be sulphur?
*I would say that since changing to ulsd about 2 0r 3 years ago that is a thing of the past.
**Same as diesel .
***Mita a usta been but not any more .

I agree and thought everyone knows that? :D:D

(Everyone - 1) knows it and -1 keeps saying they're the same.:rolleyes:
1*-I agree

1*I hate to agree with him but in my area it is the same.
2*The reason is, and I asked the 2 suppliers and got the same answer, is they sell aprox 50,000 gallons of #2 diesel off road a day.
*They sell about 500 gallons of home heating oil a week.
Chris
1*I know but when yer rite yer tite :D
2*The reason here is a litte different in that we don't have 2 different fuels .
** On a note : AT 50000 gallon a day VS 500 gallon a week it won't be long before they pull the 500 seller.

1*I hate to agree with him but in my area it is the same. The reason is, and I asked the 2 suppliers and got the same answer, is they sell aprox 50,000 gallons of #2 diesel off road a week. They sell about 500 gallons of home heating oil a week.
2* When someone orders Home Heating Oil they just fill them with #2 Off Road.
Chris
1*O come on now is it really so bad to be in among the correct?:)
2*Which proves there is no need to have 2 fuels when one will do .

I HATE to agree with that ONE too..... but for once that ONE made sense and contrubuted SOME useful info. I think that ONE is right, lot of oil heaters 'round here burning no.2 off-road.1* The whole diesel grade thing is a sham!!!!!
1*There are a lot of rumers & half truths floating about.
Myths and old wives tales die hard.

I talked to two oil distributors here in SW VA recently. They both said the home heating oil and their off road diesel were the same product. One said if I was concerned about gelling, I could mix about 20 gallons of kerosene with the 200 gallons of diesel that I had just had delivered. I didn't ask the other if they had a winter blend. An employee of a bigger oil distributor in a close city said they usually added some kerosene to their HHO/diesel in the winter, but he did not know the ratio. We probably won't get below zero temps but one or two nights each winter. I'm sure that has something to do with our fuel blends. I use PS white bottle in my tractor year round anyway.
Don'T look like I'm the only one saying HHO and dieseal are the same .

Yup and where you are in cold areas they are close 6 months of the year.
1* You can use either or and be fine just not on DOT roads.
?
1*Why not on D O T roads ?
Funny I see a major Biz in MA, concrete supply with hundreds of trucks, 50 years buckets on FEL etc and they use HHO...I guess they are misinformed by some...[/quote]

Does anyone have any info that shows that fuel oil and off road are not the same. (other than winter additives)?
I Don't.

*Home heating oil in my area is less refined red diesel and my tractor runs just fine on it. .
*HERE it is the same and may be dyed or not dyed .

Last edited:
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #85  

If this is what he does, have you noticed a difference in billing ? ie for color of feul and taxes.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #86  
WHAT:eek: No kidding! Hmmmm...... yup, diesel fuel grade is a sham!!!! *there is oil stoves and diesel fuel anyhow:D
1*No kidding .
If this is what he does, have you noticed a difference in billing ? ie for color of feul and taxes.
2*Why would there be any difference in price ?

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #87  
1*No kidding .

2*Why would there be any difference in price ?

Cause if the police "aka truck teams" inspect your truck (and fuel) with no dyed fuel you are in trouble...Hence, why HHO is cheaper. then diesel.

In case you do not know in your area, HHO and diesel are the same except the gov wants the tax ($$$$$); aka why they dye the fuel for this reason. Adn yea, I know some that got nailed using it.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #89  
Sales tax on the heating oil?

fuel tax for diesel and zero for HHO.. That is why people try and use HHO since they save, depends on your area but, here about $0.50 per gallon.

When you are filling 150+ gallons on equipment (per item) it adds up.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #90  
Is it possible that the gas companies already put additive to the fuel for the winter season? Cause when I did ask my dealer what to do, their answer was to keep the water away and try to keep your tank full. Did not mentioned anything regarding Stabil or the 9-1-1 stuff.

Maybe our diesel around here contains the right stuff since were are in a Nordic country?

Does anyone knows?

Ho, and while I'm here, I was reading another thread on oil and you can put motor oil in a diesel engine? Would you really do that since your motor is not spec'd to do so :confused:
:)

Yes, fuel companies add all you need.
A lot of people dine on additive bottle ads, not my problem.
STP was considered "essential" a few decades ago, THAT myth got busted WIDE open.

B'leeve it, long distance truckers just stop, get about another 150 gallons straight from the pump and go. No messing with mumble-dumble-juice-booster, just $400 on the account and they're off.

Status
Not open for further replies.