Diesel additive, is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #1  

Max2310

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310 2008
Is it possible that the gas companies already put additive to the fuel for the winter season? Cause when I did ask my dealer what to do, their answer was to keep the water away and try to keep your tank full. Did not mentioned anything regarding Stabil or the 9-1-1 stuff.

Maybe our diesel around here contains the right stuff since were are in a Nordic country?

Does anyone knows?

Ho, and while I'm here, I was reading another thread on oil and you can put motor oil in a diesel engine? Would you really do that since your motor is not spec'd to do so :confused:
:)

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #2  
Short answers.

No, you don't HAVE to use diesel supplements. You can stay in front of the TV when the snow and cold comes and your diesel is jello and tractor won't start. :D:D

Yes, sure you can burn old oil in your motor. Old soup, gravy, sour milk. Great way to get rid of old stuff. 'Course, you'll probably scrap your motor, but hey!! Who cares, right? :D:D

Hoping you have a sense of humor.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #3  
Seriously? Yes, use a preventative, not a remedial diesel fuel additive. Howes, Diesel Power Services - White Bottle, etc. 9-1-1 is for when you haven't prevented gell, and now must get it back to liquid.

No. No way, if you love your tractor, would you run anything but the very cleanest, purest diesel fuel you can get in the fuel tank.

Best regards,

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #4  
9-1-1 is for ungelling fuel, better choices for keeping it ungelled exist.I use Howes or FPPF Polar Power below 15 degrees for safetys sake, course Im in a semi! Diesels were originally meant to run on most flammible liquids, including vegetable oil. A bit of oil shouldnt hurt, but I wouldnt recommend it! Course I used to run transmiion fluid inmy diesel to clean injectors.]
Good Luck
greg

/ Diesel additive, is it a must?
Short answers.

No, you don't HAVE to use diesel supplements. You can stay in front of the TV when the snow and cold comes and your diesel is jello and tractor won't start. :D:D

Yes, sure you can burn old oil in your motor. Old soup, gravy, sour milk. Great way to get rid of old stuff. 'Course, you'll probably scrap your motor, but hey!! Who cares, right? :D:D

Hoping you have a sense of humor.

LOL

Yes I do have a good sense of humor but I'm also glad that you added a second post over this one ;)

My tractor have the luxury to sleep in a tempered garage. Maybe it's not as much of an issue but I will consider a preventive additive.

Regarding the oil in my engine, I'm not that desperate so I won't even try it. I was just surprise by the amount of suggestions regarding this in a locked thread where I couldn't ask that question.

Thanks for prompt answer Greg and bp fick. Cheers

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #6  
Its not required but I will tell you when you have 12" of snow in the drive and a tractor that died 300' from it due to gelled fuel you will kick yourself for not spending the $10 back in October to treat your 150 gallons of fuel you keep on hand. Oh did I mention it was -20 and the wind was blowing a good 25 MPH.

Ask me how I know.;)

Chris

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #7  
I use an additive year 'round, there have been a few times I have gone away on a job when it is warm out, returned when it was cold and snow to my knees in the driveway so the very first thing I needed to do was fire up the tractor, take it out in the cold and move snow. My tractor has never let me down because of fuel issues, not sure if it would have without additive but I believe fuel additive to be a very cheap insurance.
I have never burned used motor oil in any engine, you drained it out to get rid of all the contaminants in it, why would you put that oil back into your engine:confused:

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #8  
Max

The fuel you buy indeed has treatments and blends from the oil companies, but the fuel stays in their tanks for how long? The fuels you have in your tank and in your can(s) are bought when? You see the possibilities for problems here. Plus, the additives provide some additional cetane and lubrication for these ultra-low emissions fuels and engines.

Finally, as the Pilot said, your garage may be warm and toasty but that fuel tank is going to chill down mighty quickly after an hours work in below 0 F weather. Yes, it always seems to happen at the farther point from that warm garage. :D:D Peter Principle

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #9  
Is it possible that the gas companies already put additive to the fuel for the winter season? Cause when I did ask my dealer what to do, their answer was to keep the water away and try to keep your tank full. Did not mentioned anything regarding Stabil or the 9-1-1 stuff.

Maybe our diesel around here contains the right stuff since were are in a Nordic country?

Does anyone knows?

Ho, and while I'm here, I was reading another thread on oil and you can put motor oil in a diesel engine? Would you really do that since your motor is not spec'd to do so :confused:
:)

It boils down to whether or not you trust your supplier to do it.

I have never added anything EVER!

IMO If you can't trust your supplier to do it right then you can't trust his fuel the rest of the year either.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #10  
It boils down to whether or not you trust your supplier to do it.

I have never added anything EVER!

IMO If you can't trust your supplier to do it right then you can't trust his fuel the rest of the year either.

Well said. Well said indeed. I trust my bulk LP supplier explicitly.
But I am small time on diesel use. For that, my "supplier", unfortunately, is a corner gas station and Nope, don't trust them on this issue. Cannot take the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.