Dumb Question

/ Dumb Question #1  

cfrasc

I have a 1983 610DTE with 20Hrs (yes that all) on the hour meter. I bought it from my good friend after his father died. The farm had 4 different tractors, mostly Farmall H痴, the Long was used to move snow and manure on occasions.
We don稚 know when the last time the oil had been changed and I would like to change it. Now the dumb question; Can anyone tell me how many quarts of oil does a UBT 4 cylinder diesel engine use?

/ Dumb Question #2  
You don't NEED to know, although it would be nice. You'll have a pretty good reading off the old oil that comes out. You can tell pretty quickly whether a gallon or two and a half gallons comes out.

I've bought alot of used lawnmowers, lawn tractors, walk behinds, etc over the years and wasn't sure about their capacities. All you do in pour in a bit, check, pour again, check. Sooner or later, it shows up on the dipstick.
In a small engine, it's ounces at a time. In a older, 4 cyl tractor, it's a quart at a time. It's that simple, really. Once it is up on the stick where it should be, run until fully warm and circulated. Stop, let sit a minute or two, and check again.

PS Don't over fill it.

/ Dumb Question #3  
A fellow I worked with had a little sign on the wall behind his desk, it said, "Stupid questions are much easier to deal with than stupid mistakes". So really the dumb questions are the ones you should have asked but didn't.
I agree with bpfick, you will see about how much oil comes out, that will let you know if you can safely dump in a gallon then start checking the stick a little at a time or if you should dump in maybe half that and start checking. That's how I fill the transmission on the tractor out of a pail, I have a fair idea how much I can pour in to get close then it is a funnel full, let it drain down, check the stick, add another funnel full. The funnel has a long narow spout to get to the filler so it drains slow. Close enough until I get to the last little bit to top it off, then I go slow.

/ Dumb Question #4  
You don't NEED to know, although it would be nice. You'll have a pretty good reading off the old oil that comes out. You can tell pretty quickly whether a gallon or two and a half gallons comes out.

I've bought alot of used lawnmowers, lawn tractors, walk behinds, etc over the years and wasn't sure about their capacities. All you do in pour in a bit, check, pour again, check. Sooner or later, it shows up on the dipstick.
In a small engine, it's ounces at a time. In a older, 4 cyl tractor, it's a quart at a time. It's that simple, really. Once it is up on the stick where it should be, run until fully warm and circulated. Stop, let sit a minute or two, and check again.

PS Don't over fill it.

Yep, that's the same way I do it, and lots of other folks, I'm sure.

/ Dumb Question
Thanks to all of you I do appreciate the responses. The dump and measures was the method I was going to use but had it in my head that I needed to know before I started. Got the filter all set that痴 a positive start. :p

/ Dumb Question #6  
My Long 445 was a 3 cyl and that took 7 qts so at least figure on that+.
If it was my tractor I would change trans.oil and clean the hyd filter on the right side and drain the fuel tank and change the fuel filter.and if you have a separate PS pump change the filter in that to.
Clean the air cleaner and that holds approx 3/4 qt 30w there is a line on the bowl, cover the battery in case you drop the bowl .