Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #1  

Couple of Achers

Gold Member
Tractor
L4740
My owners manual for my bullet/torpedo/nipco heater says to burn kerosene or #2 diesel. I have always run #2 diesel fuel. The problem I have now is I need some fuel and this time of year in MN, due to the temperature, the only diesel fuel you can get is #1. I have 200 gallons of #1 it in the barrel I use for my tractors. My question is, what happens if I try to burn #1 in the heater? I know I can go to town and buy some kerosene, but the weather here right now is telling me to stay home. So I am curious if I should fill it with #1 and plug it in, or just wait until I can get some kerosene.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #2  
I would go ahead and burn it. I have used Kero, #1 and #2 in mine. I just pour in on top of what ever was in there last. It seems to give a little more odor with #2. I have heard some guys say that #2 soy diesel causes them to soot up quite a bit.

Dan

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater
Thanks. I think I will just put in enough for today and then top it off later with kero.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #4  
My owners manual for my bullet/torpedo/nipco heater says to burn kerosene or #2 diesel. I have always run #2 diesel fuel. The problem I have now is I need some fuel and this time of year in MN, due to the temperature, the only diesel fuel you can get is #1. I have 200 gallons of #1 it in the barrel I use for my tractors. My question is, what happens if I try to burn #1 in the heater? I know I can go to town and buy some kerosene, but the weather here right now is telling me to stay home. So I am curious if I should fill it with #1 and plug it in, or just wait until I can get some kerosene.

If you normally run D2 I can't see why you couldn't run D1.

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #5  

d1 is closer to kerosene than d2 burn it and be happy:eek::eek:

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #6  
D2 has a little higher heat/lb than D1, but is also more likely to gell & prevent your heater from starting in a really cold shop or outside. D2 is essentially the summer only blend for cold climates, but then who uses their heater in the summer anyway? I've only used kero in mine a couple of times & find the exhaust odor to be a little stronger, so I stay with the pump diesel of the season, most likely D1.
As an aside, I haven't put fuel in my tractor since October & that was purchased in August (in cans). Ran my tractor for 10 minutes at 0F last week when it slowed to an idle then died. Restarted & limped back to the barn - 50'. Gave it a shot of Polar Power & was on my way again. Time to buy D1 winter fuel I guess. MikeD74T

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #7  
I was running D2 in mine and it would give me a head ache. I then started buying K2 and no problems. Not sure what they are putting in my D2 in this area but everyone who is around it says the same thing.

By the way D2 is $2.89/gallon and Clear K2 is $3.25 per gallon so only a buck and a half more for a 5 gallon jug of the K2 is worth my health.

Chris

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #8  
I use these heaters every day at work,and run k-1. Ijust wanted to say make sure you have lots of fresh air[garage door open]or youll get sick!!For a permanant heat source in a building get a trailer furnace or something
ALAN

/ Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #9  
As far as OP question, as has been said, the winter blend would probably be better being "thinned" for lower pour point.

I've got a 110,000 btu unit, mine doesn't say it's multi fuel, Would like to burn diesel, K1 is 1-2 bucks more a gallon and not always easy to find for me.
Is it commonly accepted that any kero burner can substitute diesel?

Looking at the picture, it does just say oil fired, not kero?

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN2935.jpg
    DSCN2935.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 799
   / Kerosene/#1,#2 Diesel Bullet Heater #10  
I've got a 110,000 btu unit, mine doesn't say it's multi fuel, Would like to burn diesel, K1 is 1-2 bucks more a gallon and not always easy to find for me.
Is it commonly accepted that any kero burner can substitute diesel?

Looking at the picture, it does just say oil fired, not kero?

JB.

I would call the manufacture to find out for sure. I have a 170,000 BTU unit that says its approved for home heating oil, diesel, kero, and jet fuel.

I have only ran diesel and kero in it. I would try jet fuel but will never use diesel or home heating oil again, too much odor.

Chris