old 2 cycle mix

/ old 2 cycle mix #11  
What little left over,I use old mixtures to start brush pile fires.

/ old 2 cycle mix #12  
I never use stabilizer as I find it causes more problems than good. For small 2 stroke use premium fuel does not have all the additives and lasts about six months. you are right mix small batches and what dealer has suggested up here because of longer storage times, is to start machine and let warm up. shut down and drain fuel tank into can with funnel, re start chainsaw or pump or weed wiper and let run out. take small drain screw off or bowel off of carb if long storing and wipe out crap in bottom. using a shamme for a strainer for the gas is the only way to keep out dirt and it seems that only high test gas does not varnish up for me anyways\
Bill

/ old 2 cycle mix #13  
I dump in in my vehicles. When I make a mix up I only make a tank ful (16oz) at a time so anything left is so minimal I dump in in my car. Now I use a mix with stabil right in it so I make a gal at a time and just keep it in a container but as that gets old I wouldn't hesitate to dump that in my car. That mix is already almost all gas, so little oil in it that your vehicle engine wouldn't be affected at all.

/ old 2 cycle mix #14  
I am glad so many of you report good results in merely pouring old oil mix into your vehicles. My experience has differed. I have had more than one occasion to have issues in doing that in a small 4 stroke, such as a lawnmower. Bad results. Erratic running, small screen pickup glazed, etc. It just wasn't worth doing again in the future, for me anyhow. Most operator's manuals for these machine specifically refer to this as something not to do.

While I don't believe there is much risk, diluted into a large 12 gallon auto tank, nonetheless, with the expense of 02 sensors and such, "getting rid" of old 2 stroke mix is something that can be avoided in the first place by mixing very small containers in the first place. That's just me.

We have a fire pit and the occasional burn pile, those need starting. :D:D

/ old 2 cycle mix #15  
I've put old 2 cycle mix in the tank of one of my cars or the pickup.

Ralph

/ old 2 cycle mix #16  
Stihl brand oil has stabilizer added. I now use this, with 'fresh from the pump' 89 or above gas, and never have an issue with stale fuel even after a year. I try not to mix too much ahead of time though so I can keep it fresher. I used to have some problems but realized I was causing them when I mixed the fuel using older gas I had on hand. That gas was already bad (weeks old) before adding the oil/stabilizer. Once I started using higher grade gas, and mixing it fresh from the pump, all my problems went away.
When I do have really old mix that I don't trust, I add it to my older gas tractor or my truck.

/ old 2 cycle mix #17  
As others have mentioned, mix a very small amount.

I use a one-quart oil bottle to mix in, and I usually only mix about a pint or less at a time. I'd rather mix several times for a big job than deal with leftovers. If I do have any left over, it goes into the boat tank.

Regards,

- Just Gary

/ old 2 cycle mix #18  
Shindaiwa oil contains stabilizers. However, I still dump what's left in the mower after a couple of months and mix fresh fuel for my 2-stroke equipment. I figure a pint or two of 2-stroke mix in a 4 gallon tank won't affect anything, even if the 2-stroke mix is getting pretty old.

/ old 2 cycle mix #19  
For years I have used the same mix ratio in every 2-Stroke I have. I use my "Saw-gas" 1 gallon jug and use AMSOIL SABER oil . That way I go thru enough "Saw-Gas" (mixed gas) that keeping it fresh usually isn't an issue. With 3 chainsaws, weedeater, blower, wife's small tiller/cultivator, ... the issue is usually -- ****, I need to mix another gallon of saw-gas already?"

/ old 2 cycle mix #20  
I only mix a gallon at a time. I put a fuel stablizer in the mix even though the oil, Stihl, has a stablizer. I had the plugs foul up on my chain saw a few years ago which I think was due to old fuel. I now only burn the mix if it is no older than a month or so. I only buy Premium gas as well.

If it is too old to run in the Stihls I store it until I take it to the dump where they collect gas, oil, paint, etc.

Its just not worth trying to save a few dollars of old gas if I have down time getting the saw to run. Nor will I risk the car engine with the mix for a dollar or two of gas. I doubt it would be a problem to run such a small amount of mix in a full take of gas in the SUV but I have to take old oil to the dump anyway so taking old gas just is not a big deal.

Later,
Dan