old 2 cycle mix

/ old 2 cycle mix #1  

gasbag

Tractor
JD2305tlb JD3038e
I have been wondering how to deal with old 2 cycle gas mix, it seems that when I'm done with my chainsaw or other gas run small tool I have left over gas mix. Sometimes it may be 6 months before I need to use gas mix again, I have heard that the mix goes bad after 6 weeks and the old gas makes the equipment hard to start and run poorly, I have had these issues, I hate it when I have a large tree down in my drive and my saw won't start. My question is what to do with the old mix. I heard somewhere that you can put it into a full tank of gas in your truck and it will be dilute enough to run through without problem, I don't want to mess up my truck, so is it safe for my truck? What do other people do? Mark

/ old 2 cycle mix #2  
First, if you use a shot of Sta-bil when you mix it, it would be good for 9-12 months, which means not having to waste it. It's a good practice for snowblowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, outboards, etc. Mix very small (1 gal) cans to also eliminate waste.

I would NOT burn it in a four stroke engine I cared about. Good starter for the burn pile.:D

/ old 2 cycle mix #3  
I heard somewhere that you can put it into a full tank of gas in your truck and it will be dilute enough to run through without problem, I don't want to mess up my truck, so is it safe for my truck? What do other people do? Mark

I have done that many a time. Some 2 stroke oils have a fuel stabilizer in them but it does not always seem to matter wether they do or don't it just goes bad anyway. You can safely add lets say 1 gallon of fuel to a tank, even 1/2 gallon of bad gas in a full tank will not be an issue. My F150 has 2 tanks 1 tank is nearly empty and the other is about 3/4 full. It could take me several more weeks to get to the point I need to fill one of my tanks. As you can see I am always running around with at least a few gallons of bad gas in the tank. Once it is mixed with fresh gas there really is no issue.

/ old 2 cycle mix #4  
First, if you use a shot of Sta-bil when you mix it, it would be good for 9-12 months, which means not having to waste it. It's a good practice for snowblowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, outboards, etc. Mix very small (1 gal) cans to also eliminate waste.

I would NOT burn it in a four stroke engine I cared about. Good starter for the burn pile.:D

It will not hurt a thing to burn it in a 4 cycle engine. For example I run a marine business and the new fuel injected Mercruiser and Volvo engines such as the 5.0L, 5.7L, 6.2L, and 8.1L engines call for this procedure to winterize the engine. (Fog)

Remove fuel line for gas tank and hook to temp tank.

Add 1 gallon gas, 13oz TCW3 2 stroke oil, and 1oz Stabil. This works out to a 10 to 1 mixture. 13 oz oil to 128 oz gas.

Start engine and run at 1200 rpm's for 5 minutes then shut down.

Reconnect fuel line to main tank.

Change Fuel/Water separator.

Any old fuel like you have that is left over at the end of the year I dump into my boats fuel tank, 100 gallons, then top it off with fresh fuel and Stabil for the winter.

Chris

/ old 2 cycle mix #5  
Any old left over 2 cycle gas I always run it through my riding mower to use it up.
I did that with my Wheel Horse garden tractor for years, never hurt it any. My Wheel Horse was 30 years old when I sold it and it still run great.

/ old 2 cycle mix #6  
I also have a boat, so any fuel "left over" can always be dumped into that tank, as it is merely a quart or less, as I do not mix 2 stroke in large batches.
I understand fogging for winter of marine engines, both 2 and 4 strokes.

But, in the absence of a boat tank, for me, and this just for me, I do not run it through 4 stroke lawn machines nor any automobile. I just won't go there. I won't bore you with the all the reasons why.

Buy a boat, you will always have a place to get rid of it.

/ old 2 cycle mix #7  
I also have a boat, so any fuel "left over" can always be dumped into that tank, as it is merely a quart or less, as I do not mix 2 stroke in large batches.
I understand fogging for winter of marine engines, both 2 and 4 strokes.

But, in the absence of a boat tank, for me, and this just for me, I do not run it through 4 stroke lawn machines nor any automobile. I just won't go there. I won't bore you with the all the reasons why.

Buy a boat, you will always have a place to get rid of it.

What I was trying to say is these are very technical and advanced MPI engines and they run a 10 to 1 mix for winterizing so putting a 1/2 gallon of 40 to 1 mix from your saw in a 25 gallon tank of a average pickup is not going to hurt a thing.

Chris

/ old 2 cycle mix #8  
Running old 2-stroke mix in a 4-stroke lawn mower won't hurt it if you don't go hog wild. Older Kohler singles actually run better with some in the tank if you stay at 100:1 or higher. Helps lube the exhaust/intake valves.

/ old 2 cycle mix #9  
Ask any old dirtbiker. Most of them have 4 stroke lawnmowers that have never seen regular gas. They always get the premix gas that was too old for the dirt bike. My pickup or van also burned premix very well.

/ old 2 cycle mix #10  
I have been wondering how to deal with old 2 cycle gas mix, it seems that when I'm done with my chainsaw or other gas run small tool I have left over gas mix. Sometimes it may be 6 months before I need to use gas mix again, I have heard that the mix goes bad after 6 weeks and the old gas makes the equipment hard to start and run poorly, I have had these issues, I hate it when I have a large tree down in my drive and my saw won't start. My question is what to do with the old mix. I heard somewhere that you can put it into a full tank of gas in your truck and it will be dilute enough to run through without problem, I don't want to mess up my truck, so is it safe for my truck? What do other people do? Mark

I would throw it in my cars...Been doing that for years and TC oil is great for a UCL...

PS, I also have never used stabil in my backpack blower, gas trimmers, grass trimmer..Maybe I am lucky,