Home heating fuel /Tractor ?

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #1  

First one

Gold Member
Tractor
08' Kubota L3240 HST /cab
Just talked to a guy that said I could used home heating fuel in my tractor. I never have, and always get my tractor fuel at the pumps. He said it would be alot cheaper to get a fuel tank and have them fill it when they come to fill the house. Where I have my tank in the basement I get #2 for the house to burn . Do any of you do this?

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #2  
In Pa. it saves us the road tax.(over 30 cents/gallon) I'm not exactly sure the savings in your state. The home heating oil will run just fine in your diesel tractor, just remember to add anti-gel for the winter months. I have run this for 30 years with no problems in my diesel tractors!

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #3  
Just talked to a guy that said I could used home heating fuel in my tractor. I never have, and always get my tractor fuel at the pumps. He said it would be alot cheaper to get a fuel tank and have them fill it when they come to fill the house. Where I have my tank in the basement I get #2 for the house to burn . Do any of you do this?

It's probably the same fuel.

You could put a pump on the house tank, if you where so inclined.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #4  
My tractor has never seen anything but #2 heating oil.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #5  

Good Mornin First one,
Yep Im sure many on TBN do just that without any issues.... seeing your from Maine, you can also cut that #2 fuel with some kero, that with help with the really cold weather you guts get !

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #6  

More convenient also.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #7  
Yup, I have them fill the genset and bulk tank everyfall 525 gal between them. Saves a good bit of $$$$ and makes budgeting fuel costs much easier.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #8  
For anyone on the automatic delivery program with your heating oil supplier, using it in your tractor could throw off their calculations for when your tank needs refilled. Obviously this depends on how much you take out of the tank and how close they calculate your needs.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #9  
I use #2 home heating oil, I have heard that if the EPA stops by and looks at the color you could get fined, emissions or something, not sure if this is true

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #10  
FYI, home heating oil is NOT the same as diesel pump fuel. The fuel you pump at the station is ultra low sulfur ; home heating oil is still at least 2000 or so ppm. The big BUT is that for older tractors the use of home heating fuel is probably 'better' (?????), with ulsd comes lower lubricity, just make sure that your fuel dealer is not handling any blend of bio.