Water in auger gear box

/ Water in auger gear box #1  

claxton

Tractor
MF235
Front seal went out in my auger and before I realized it water had gotten in. So my question is what can I use to clean out all the milky oil and what gear oil should I use? I have know idea what brand auger it is.

/ Water in auger gear box #2  
I would recommend purchasing a cheap oil vacuum pump whether it be manual or electric to get out all the old milky oil. I purchased a manual one at Sears for $20. You can manuever the suction tube around inside the gear box to get almost all of the old oil out.

As for what gear oil to use, my Leinbach auger recommends 80W-90 gear oil. Any quality brand should do.

/ Water in auger gear box #3  
I would let it drain over night then put in diesel and run it for a 2 minutes to wash everything down. Drain again and refill with 80W90 gear oil.

Using diesel to wash things out is nothing new. Its called "flushing". Just do not put the gear box under any load when running on diesel. IE: Just let it run with out putting the auger to the ground.

Chris

/ Water in auger gear box #4  
I would let it drain over night then put in diesel and run it for a 2 minutes to wash everything down. Drain again and refill with 80W90 gear oil.

Using diesel to wash things out is nothing new. Its called "flushing". Just do not put the gear box under any load when running on diesel. IE: Just let it run with out putting the auger to the ground.

Chris
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

/ Water in auger gear box #5  
add a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some diesel.. agitate and then use a battery bulb to suck it dry, then refill with 85140 or whatever the manual calls for..

alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar.. it will grab water in soloution ( not suspension or emulsion )

soundguy

/ Water in auger gear box #6  
Diamondpiolt & kennyd,
are right on the money, diesel is the best for flushing myself and others have been using it for a long time. Great for cleaning wheel bearings and other gears.
DevilDog

/ Water in auger gear box #7  
I would just add a cup of antifreez so it won't lock up in the winter.:)

/ Water in auger gear box #8  
why not alcohol? and kerosene or diesel, then simply draint he solvated water and flush the gearbox.. then go back in with gear oil ..???????

soundguy

/ Water in auger gear box #9  
Flushing with diesel is a common and accepted method of removing water contaminated oil. Diesel fuel is hygroscopic and will also clean out the old oil. Adding alcohol, can perform the same but is more expensive and any benefit may not be worth the time it takes. It can also add more water if you don't use a "dried" alcohol. (For example, use a denatured alcohol or isopropol alchohol... NOT rubbing alcohol which is 50-70% water.) I after replacing the lubricant, I would run the auger for a while to help vaporize any water left in the system before sealing the gearbox. Did this to an engine which got flooded with water while 4x4ing and never had a problem with rust or other ill effects until I totalled out the truck in a rollover accident about a year later. Other solvents will work too. Acetone, lacquer thinner, carbon tetrachloride, japan drier, etc but much more expensive than diesel and not as safe.

/ Water in auger gear box #10  
BTW, I flushed the engine, transmission, transfer case, and both front and rear axels on the truck. Water got up to the windows. :eek: And was sucked into the carb. Had to remove the sparkplugs, crank it to get the water out, before starting the engine. Had to get it out of the water with a hand powered "come-a-long" in the middle of a river bed (Canadian River, just south of Norman, Oklahoma.) Drove the truck home to NE Oklahoma City and then did the flushing up there. I miss that rig.... it was fun!