Rotella vs Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Rotella vs Mobil #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I have an 06 F250 w/ the 6.0 diesel. After doing some research and listening to people that know these engines inside and out, I will be making the switch to synthetic, w/ changes every 7500. I have been trying to find a comaprison w/ Shell Rotella Syn 15-40 vs Mobil Delvac(?) Syn 15-40 and keep striking out. I run standard rotella 15-40 in my JD 5103 and have no complaints yet. Any input from you guys?

/ Rotella vs Mobil #2  
I also use dino 15-40 rotella in all of my diesels. Why not just stick with the brand you've had luck with?

I did switch my gas engines over to synthetic and it seems to be A okay. I doubt I'll switch over to synthetic on the diesels. Reason being, I feel it would be too long between changes???? I allready can go for quite a while without an oil change now, why add the exspence to do the same thing. I also have heaters on everything diesel, so there would not be any reall benifit.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #3  
I switched to syn for my 04 6.0 psd and I wish I had done it sooner. The truck warms up much faster and is alot quieter. I started out with mobile 1 full syn and was happy with it. Then all of a sudden retailers here stopped carrying it. So I tried the rotella full syn and have been using it since late 07.
I've had good luck with it and have sent samples out for eval. I've been able to go 10k without change due to the oil samples. My dealer chargers $115 for a dino oil change and I can diy with the syn for the same. So I think it makes sense.

Matt

/ Rotella vs Mobil
I also use dino 15-40 rotella in all of my diesels. Why not just stick with the brand you've had luck with?

I did switch my gas engines over to synthetic and it seems to be A okay. I doubt I'll switch over to synthetic on the diesels. Reason being, I feel it would be too long between changes???? I allready can go for quite a while without an oil change now, why add the exspence to do the same thing. I also have heaters on everything diesel, so there would not be any reall benifit.

One reason was it was suggested by many mechanicis this engine, being strongly controlled by oil, benefits a lot from synthetic. Something to do with the high pressure oil injection(??)

/ Rotella vs Mobil #5  
I have an 06 F250 w/ the 6.0 diesel. After doing some research and listening to people that know these engines inside and out, I will be making the switch to synthetic, w/ changes every 7500. I have been trying to find a comaprison w/ Shell Rotella Syn 15-40 vs Mobil Delvac(?) Syn 15-40 and keep striking out. I run standard rotella 15-40 in my JD 5103 and have no complaints yet. Any input from you guys?

I've run both. I personally like Delvac better but will go with Rotella if it's a lot cheaper. Most every diesel mechanic I know refers to Rotella as about the best "cheap" diesel oil you can get. I'm not really sure of the meaning of what they say, but unless you go with Rural King's house brand or something like that, Rotella is about the cheapest stuff out there. I have never done any used oil analysis' and compared Rotella to Delvac but some guys I know claim to have done so and that the Delvac holds up better. Again, 2nd hand, so don't take that as me stating fact. The only thing I know was that when I was working in the mines they switched from Rotella to Delvac for all their equipment. Still, that could have been price driven and it wasn't synthetic.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #6  
Deerefan: if you want a synthetic it would be Delvac 1 and 5-40-Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck Oil is Del 1, this confirmed to me by Mobil.

This is what I have found out in our E450 6.0, '07: I switched from whatever the factory fill is to full synthetic when we took delivery of the rv from the upfitter, about 700 miles.

My psd, which I love-37k miles of flawless operation- 14/16 mpg (remember it is an rv, 14k-gvw), in fact it is the only good thing about the crappy rv we bought really likes to have 15-40 oil. To date I have tried two fills of Del 1, three fills of Amsoil Marine Heavy duty diesel, one fill of Amsoil 30 10/30 diesel oil, and one fill of full syn Rotella-I change roughly every 4k miles.

Whenever I have switched from 15-40 to another weight I see very very slight oil consumption, less than a quart-with the exception of Amsoil 30 weight which was even less -with the 15-40 the level on the stick is the same at change and fill.

I am going back to 15-40 and staying there, and I am going back to Amsoil permanently also, there really is a difference and I DO NOT sell the stuff.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #7  
For us, in the dead of winter, that 15w-40 is just too much. Around here guys either run 10w30 for diesels, which is admittedly not as easy to find, or switch to one of the synthetics for quick, cold flow. Typically, that would 5w-40 in either Mobil or Rotella. Shrug? They are both fine oils. You mentioned the price does differ from time to time and place to place. Agreed.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #8  
I have a 04 and a 06 6.0 psd and have ran Mobil Delvac in both since day one. I have heard bad things with Rotella and the 6.0 but that was early on due to foaming. I know for a fact Rotella was reformulated to handle this but I just stuck with the Delvac.

What is funny is I run dyno Rotella in my tractors. Go figure.

Chris

/ Rotella vs Mobil #9  
Depends on what someone is looking for. Better wears, longer drains etc.

I know I cannot stand Mobil CS and Rotella in some parts is a cult..Use what you want since NO ONE can say what is the better of the two. If they do, prove it bud..LOL

/ Rotella vs Mobil #10  
I switched to syn for my 04 6.0 psd and I wish I had done it sooner. The truck warms up much faster and is alot quieter.

Quieter I'd believe....warms up quicker, uh no I can't believe that one;)
If anything the 15w-40 would warm up quicker due to increased internal drag when cold:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.