Plastic vs metal fuel cans

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I purchased top end fire resistant metal fire cans...red for gas and yellow for diesel. Then, I happen to pick up my manuals for my gas and diesel machines; each manual said "use a plastic container without metal screens". Is this just for fire prevention due to spark or do metal cans allow more water to get to the fuel? Are metal can bad? What is best?

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #2  
Fuel container: use plastic, do not use galvanized cans. The zinc flakes with diesel fuel and tends to gel with water too.

I wouldn't say "bad" - I always liked they metal jerry cans - but always had issues with rust, inside the can (mixing with the fuel), and the pour spout. Seemed like I was replacing them evey few years, so now I have all plastic.

Was never really worried about sparks so much - but would guess it is a valid risk

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #3  
I like plastic more because of the rust issue of metal. BUT my diesel is in a 300 gal oil tank, it was free, and new.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #5  
I have metal cans and prefer them. Same with the outboard gas cans. When they start showing rust inside, I use a product called "Kreem fuel tank liner". It's a fast hardening resin that you pour into your cleaned up tank that coats it and seals it. I know it sounds like a lot of work compared to buying a cheap plastic can, but I really do like the metal...

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #6  
Fuel container: use plastic, do not use galvanized cans. The zinc flakes with diesel fuel and tends to gel with water too.

The can manufacturers know this. Quality metal diesel fuel cans are not galvanized on the inside, but coated with a resin compound.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #7  
I've switched to the plastic No-spill cans, as I like the spout arrangement very well.
I was getting fed up with the spout designs that have proliferated in the last 15-20 years.
Use them for gas, diesel, and small ones for mixed fuel for 2-cycle engines.

I get mine from Bailey's Logging Supply

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #8  
I don't have any of my father's metal fuel cans but I do still have his plastic ones. His metal ones rusted out. ;)