Grease ?

/ Grease ? #1  

double e

Tractor
massey ferguson 1528
Hello, I am a new member and just bought my first tractor a massey 1528w/L90FEL . I have been reading several post about what grease to use. Pretty much everything I read here says to use a ep moly base grease, but my manual says to use a lithium base #2 grease. I know following the manual is ok, but is it the best. Also I was trying to buy from a local store for convenience (tractor supply) (auto zone) and came across 2 types of grease one is Traveller moly lithium grease, and the other is coastal moly ep grease, any advice would be app. Thanks

/ Grease ? #2  
I'm a novice in the tractor realm as well ...... but my impression today is that the simple lubes sold by Tractor Supply in the Traveller line are more than satisfactory.

The guys that do know use it so that says a lot.

/ Grease ? #3  
Following the manual is the right thing to do, but-- no matter what grease you use, you need to grease after a few hours of use. It's just my opinion that most grease you can buy from tractor supply stores will be fine, just make sure It's a regular schedule greasing and you'll be fine.
DevilDog

/ Grease ? #4  
Another point to mention is that the manuals warn about excessive pressure when you do the regular greasing. Some of the seals can be pushed out if you overdue the process.

I suspect that means you just give each zerc a couple squirts without over filling each cavity or union.

/ Grease ? #5  
Following the manual is the right thing to do, but-- no matter what grease you use, you need to grease after a few hours of use. It's just my opinion that most grease you can buy from tractor supply stores will be fine, just make sure It's a regular schedule greasing and you'll be fine.
DevilDog

Good advice...I second this!!

Deano

/ Grease ?
Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to head over to TSC today to pick up a few tubes or case, and maybe even a new subsoiler if they have one :D

/ Grease ? #7  
Moly grease should not be used in high speed bearings, as Moly is metal powder and will retain heat. All other applications will benefit from a EP grease.
WdV

/ Grease ? #8  
Unless you are dealing with a SEALED shaft/bearing/linkage you should grease until you see a SMALL amount of fresh grease from the area being lubed.

In my opinion, it is far more important not to routinely MIX grease types than to be overly concerned about what type.

Almost every failure I see is related to LACK of maintenance, not using the wrong stuff in doing it.

/ Grease ? #9  
I bought a case of grease from Chevron, that way I always have some and it the same product. In previous posts it does mention it is better to grease more often than less. Grease is relatively inexpensive. I grease my loader and backhoe until a bit of grease starts coming out. That way I know there is grease inside. There are a couple of place that the manual tells you not to over grease, these are on the tractor itself.

Attachments

• Feb610 003.jpg
    Feb610 003.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 226
   / Grease ? #10  
Moly grease should not be used in high speed bearings, as Moly is metal powder and will retain heat. All other applications will benefit from a EP grease.
WdV
My owners manual call for "Multipurpose Grease" NLGI-2 or NLGI-1(GC-LB). The Valvoline #W633 that I use on my Ford truck and everything else is exactly as described in the manual. However it also says that it is a Moly-fortified Lithium complex EP grease. It says that its application is for automotive wheel bearings and chassis. Thus can I use it on my BX2660 per the manual as well as the mower and FEL? I don't think there are any high speed bearing involved .:confused: