Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #11  
****, my first wife thought 10 years was about the normal oil change time for her car. So it must be good for at least that long.

Eddie

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #12  
Shoot, my first wife thought 10 years was about the normal oil change time for her car. So it must be good for at least that long.

Eddie

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #13  
I bought a drum of oil at a auction two years ago. It was a unlabeled drum with some markings on the top of it. Multiduty 3p. No one could tell what was in there. And it's not that new... maybe 20 years old now. So, I did what anyone who might think it's still worth something would do. Have it tested at Blackstone. I told them what it was and all. They sent me a report back on it. It was basically a heavy duty 30 weight oil. Most likely used in a equipment machinery situation. I've successfully used that oil during the summer only... in my Ford 1900 without issues. I've used it in all my small engines that use 30 weight specs (all older motors). And have had no issues with it. So, if this is any indication of how it goes then I'd say you should have no trouble with a few jugs of several year old oil in sealed containers. Think of me with the 55 gal drum here. Seems to work just fine.

Steve
BTW... I did have it tested again after 50 hrs in the Ford and they found no issues with lubrication. All specs were normal in the motor oil. Interesting huh ?

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #14  
considering half the old tractors I buy likely havn't had an oil change in a decade when i go to look at them.. i'd say trhe shelf life of clean unopened oil kept out of the sun should be ok for at least a few years.. :)

that said, for my diesels, I use motorcraft 15w40 PS oil.. same as for my f250.. for my gaqssers.. I use whatever store brand is cheapest.. any of it has to be better than what was around in 1955.. plus they get yearly changes with low hours.. that's better than 'good' oil left in for 10ys.. :)

soundguy

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #15  
Considering that it has been in the ground for a few million years, our few years of storage is nothing in comparison. Air tight sealed bottles would likely keep till the plastic deterioated.

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand
Well, based on all the replies, I went back and p/u another 5 gal. for a total of 8 gal. of 15-40 CI/4, at 2 gal a oil change, 4 oil changes, 3 years of shelf life should be safe, maybe they will have a new A.P.I. by then.
Here is a link I picked up on another forum for tractors
fleetmotoroils.html

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #17  
Asked wife to stop at Tractor Supply when she went shopping this past weekend, asked her to p/u 3gals. of DELO 400LE CJ/4 diesel engine oil which is on sale for $10 a gal. She came back with Traveller all fleet diesel engine oil 15W-40 CI/4 which was on clearance $4.99 a gal. What Would You Do, use it for spring oil change in my tractor, a Mahindra 2002 4110 with 800+ hrs or go get the DELO oil which is still on sale.

If the oil meets the same API classification and the SAE grade as the oil that the engine manufacturer specifies for you tractor, you'er good to go with the non-Delo oil.

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #18  
A little on the light side but so is the Delo! TBN could be a little higher as well as ash content.

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand
A little on the light side but so is the Delo! TBN could be a little higher as well as ash content.
Oil weight too light ( 15w -40 ) ? ? ? ?
Additive package too light ( CI-4 ) ? ? ? ?
As compared to what - Rotella ( Dino ) ? ? ? ?

/ Delo 400LE vs Tractor Supply House Brand #20  
Please place your seats in the full upright position, close your tray table and prepare for takeoff. Our flight through the 'Land Of Oil Minutiae' should last approximately six pages at which time we will land safely back where we started in the land of 'If API Meets Owner's Manual It's OK'. Note, while most people safely survive this flight, a small number have reported mild headaches accompanied by severe bouts of regret for ever boarding the plane while a smaller number become employees. Enjoy your flight and thank you for flying Oil Trivia Airlines. :D:D:D:D