Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3400

Default Water in diesel?

I added some diesel to my tank and I think the can I used to get it in may have had some water in it. Shortly after adding the diesel the tractor smoked and stalled. I drained the fuel filter and some of the diesel from the line. I am going to see if I can get some sort of fuel dry for diesel to add to the tank. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Tractor
    massey ferguson 135

Default Re: Water in diesel?

we had the same problem with our tractor we had to drain the tank itself out and at first it was just water and then the diesel started to get a darker red until it was pure diesel. if your tractor is hard to start i would suggest in looen the injectors to bleed the air out of the fuel system.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
    I added some diesel to my tank and
    I think the can I used to get it in may have had some water in it.
    Shortly after adding the diesel the tractor smoked and stalled. I drained the fuel filter and some of the diesel from the line. I am going to see if I can get some sort of fuel dry for diesel to add to the tank. Any ideas on what I need to do?
    This is where a Mr Funnel water seperator funnel would have come in handy .
    When I was using cans I always used the funnel when pouring from the cans.
    Now that I have a fuel storage rig with a pump I don't use the funnel as the system has it's own water seperation filter.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3400

Thanks I will give it a try.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2009 JD 3520

Use Power Service in the "white bottle" to treat your fuel. This will help with the water.
    2009 JD 3520, 300CX FEL, I-Match, Frontier BB2272, Frontier AF11E, PHD, Rimguard ( 610 Lbs ) Ballast Box ( 510 lbs)

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

There is nothing commercially available that will remove the water from your fuel tank that will not also do harm to the fuel system.

DIESEL fuel injectors and pump are made to pass only one thing, DIESEL. Water, ethanol, methanol, etc WILL damage the internal parts of the pump and or injectors. The more water the worse it will be.

The only "real" solution is to drain off the water from the bottom of the tank.
    JohnG
    We have Democracy, but were founded on Liberty.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

I am for LIBERTY!

I Support electric trailer brakes on EVERY axle over the towing vehicle's GVW, CDLs for RVers and safety inspections on ALL licensed vehicles!

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

"Fuel dry" is just alcohol. Don't use it in diesel.

All this stuff is keep the water from freezing. It won't keep it from separating out of solution and causing running problems.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

Fill the new filter with Power service in the white bottle, run the tractor. If it quits, change the filter and repeat until you work the water out.

FWIW, if you have water in a fuel can leave it outside, the water will freeze. Dump the fuel off then you can deal with the ice.
    1986 Kubota 4150 w QA
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    2005 GMC 5500 10' Boss V
    1963 Oshkosh 1967
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 72 chickens, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    "Fuel dry" is just alcohol. Don't use it in diesel.

All this stuff is keep the water from freezing. It won't keep it from separating out of solution and causing running problems.

Ralph
    I think you missed a class....

alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar.. it will be carried in soloution. Sure.. you can have 'too much' water in the tank and once the soloution is saturated it won't carry more.. but that's a whole different story about seperating back out. the idea is to get it out.. the faster the better.. mechanical means are the best.. IE.. drain it off..

soundguy

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post
    I added some diesel to my tank and I think the can I used to get it in may have had some water in it. Shortly after adding the diesel the tractor smoked and stalled. I drained the fuel filter and some of the diesel from the line. I am going to see if I can get some sort of fuel dry for diesel to add to the tank. Any ideas on what I need to do?
    My understanding is a partial tank of fuel (either can or on tractor) will have a higher propensity to have water condense inside it than a tank that is full???

I don't know that to be true, just something I once read. If accurate then it might benefit you to try to keep your tank(s) as full as possible.

I've got two glass bowls on my backhoe's fuel system.

Had some issues with it running very strange one day and got curious. As it turned out, both bowls were pretty much full with water. They are 20 some years old and were VERY difficult to see through so you couldn't tell if there was diesel in them, water in them or jelly beans in them

Once I figured out the water problem, I took them off and cleaned them, getting all that accumulated junk off the inside of them so I could see through them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast