Crossing Oil Filters

/ Crossing Oil Filters #1  

Riddler

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN75VA, New Holland TC45DA, New Holland TC18
Posted this in the Cub Cadet forum as well:

I have a MTD Pro ZTR with 25 HP Kohler Command V-Twin. The Kohler oil filter number for this power plant is 12-050-01S (which apparently replaces the original 12-050-08). Where can I go to cross reference the Kohler filter with something (e.g., Fram) that would be more readily available locally? Better yet, anyone using a common automobile oil filter on this engine with success?

Finally, what grade(s) of oil can I run in this thing? The lowest winter temps barely crack freezing, and then, only on a handful of evenings each year.

/ Crossing Oil Filters #2  
Wix Filters has a website that has the best cross reference scheme I have seen. You can then use that number to cross back to Fram or whatever.

As for oil, I'm guessing the manufacturer recommends the correct oil, and I am further guessing that is a straight weight 30w?

/ Crossing Oil Filters #3  
I maintain a fleet of small engines, maybe 20 or so, along with 50 or so diesel cars, trucks, boats, and tractors. About 100 oil changes a year and every Kohler we have uses a Fram PH8172. The Fram PH3614 will also work. The 8172 is shorter and fatter with a lower bypass at 8.5 psi while the 3614 it taller and skinny with a 12 psi bypass.

I think for your application you want the Fram PH8172

Chris

/ Crossing Oil Filters #4  
Fram PH3600/3614/8172
Purolator L10241
MotorCraft FL400
There are a pile that'll work, and not cost an arm/leg. ;)
An added bonus is the longer one is easier to get at, next time you have to replace it!! :cool:

The WIX and Fram sites are most helpful.

/ Crossing Oil Filters #5  
When you are looking for a cross reference for an OEM filter, it is much better to use the OEM number. Since I work for an OEM and aftermarket filter company, I can assure you that getting one aftermarket filter company cross to your OEM application then taking that AM cross and using that to cross to another AM filter company is risky. All aftermarket filter companies, ours included have some filters (especially true for the little ones) that have multiple applications they are listed for. The problem is that you do not know what the original replacement was for. Filter companies try to fill the voids in their product coverage by finding filters with similar physical dimensions such as diameter, height, gasket configuration. Obviously, the thread has to be exactly the same. Inside the filter medium (paper) can be anything other than what the OEM filter called for. Same for the internal bypass filter setting. Should you have any filter failure using an incorrect cross, the filter companies will surely deny any claim since the product you chose is misapplied.

Bottom line: use the OEM number to obtain a cross reference. You like Fram?... use the OEM number on Fram's webpage. If they do not cross it, do not use Wix's website and their cross to go back to a Fram part that really does not exist for the OEM number. This is true for ALL aftermarket filter companies.

Best advice, stay with the OEM filter. It is a small cost to pay to protect the much larger investment you have in your machinery.

Gary Spires

/ Crossing Oil Filters #7  
Use the Purolator L10241 or anything that crosses to that. I've used that and both the AC and STP equivalents for years on my Kohler 25 hp engine. They put that filter on numerous 4 and 6 cylinder car engines as well so you are defineately not shortchanging your engine in filter capacity. I believe you'll find that the L10241 (and the equivalents too), are all similar in micron specification, relief setting, etc.