Grease, how long does it stay good?

/ Grease, how long does it stay good? #1  

Newtogreen

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4115
I purchased a Maschio tiller that had been sitting outside for nine years. The tiller is probably fifteen years old but to my knowledge it was never used. My question is after this period of time would the grease in the rotor shaft bearing still be good? Should I just pump some new grease in it before using it or should I take the rotor shaft off and clean the old grease out of the bearing housing before adding new grease? It does not appear to have been contaminated with water or dirt. The zerk does look like it could be replaced. I just don't know after this length of time if the grease would harden and pack the bearing and not let new grease in or not. Any info would be helpful. Thanks Larry

/ Grease, how long does it stay good? #2  
After that length time I would take it apart, inspect and repack.

/ Grease, how long does it stay good? #3  
I agree with mustangsallysdad. The life of greases differ dependent upon the makeup and use of the grease.

/ Grease, how long does it stay good?
I got the shaft off the easy way by taking the side plate off the tiller and would you believe the grease looked ok after all those years. The grease did have a bad smell to it though. Without pulling the bearing out Iam going to clean as much of the old grease out and put new grease in anyway. Thanks for your reply's and any more suggestions are welcomed. Larry