What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil?

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #1  

KenVT

Bronze Member
Tractor
DX40 Case

I just changed the oil in my Case DX40 and I used regular 10W30, not Diesel 10W30......

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #2  
No, but next time you should use an oil designed specifically for a diesel.

The diesel oils have extra additives to be able to deal with all the soot created in a diesel engine.

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #3  

I just changed the oil in my Case DX40 and I used regular 10W30, not Diesel 10W30......

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken

If you know you used the wrong oil then drain it out, change the filter and put the right stuff in it.

Why would you even consider a few bucks for oil versus a multi thousand dollar engine.

What letter codes are on the oil you put in???

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #4  
I would change it out. If its virtually new oil catch it in a clean pan and pour it in a old milk jug to use on things like lawn mowers, ect.

I would not risk you expensive baby over $20 in oil.

Chris

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #5  

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken
Don't over think it too much...maybe accelerate the next change interval (change the filter at this time, as well) and use the properly formulated oil next time.

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #6  
*Most* oils are "dual rated", meaning that they cover both gasoline and diesel requirements.

Gasoline and diesel oils have different addative packages because the contaminates in the crankcase are different. With a gasoline engine you get a lot of moisture and tar and with a diesel the oil becomes acidic and will collect more carbon.

Many oils will work well in either engine type but it's always best to use an oil specially formulated to the type of engine for optimal life.

You will see things like "API SG/CJ" on the oil container, that means:

API = American Petrolium Industry
SG = Spark ignition, grade "G"
CJ = Compression ignition, grade "J"

The second letter is the grade designator, in alphabetical order, and later = better.

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #7  
As was mentioned before, many oil's are for both and will say so. But the main difference is anti foaming additives.

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #8  
As was mentioned before, many oil's are for both and will say so. But the main difference is anti foaming additives.

From looking at walmart I agree most are diesel compatible.. BUT the rating on the Mobil 1 'gas' oils is a CF diesel rating.. CF is a very old spec - 1993 and earlier engines

So YES they are compatible IF you have an older engine.. NOW it appears that most of the current diesel rated oils are much meet most of the most recent gasoline engine oil ratings..

Brian

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil? #9  
Long term problems are, and I don't like the cross oils at all between gas and diesel!

Gas engines don't like ash, Diesels need ash to help absorb the partially burnt fuel from cold operation. Gas engines will have build up of ash on the valves cutting the engine life.

The TBN on diesels should be over 1 and 1.3 or higher for a good quality diesel engine and the gas engine will live on .07 fine.

When diesels have had difficulty breaking in do to the operating conditions we would use to gas engine oil to assist as the build up that it will cause will score the glazing and allow the rings to seat. One hundred hours is the MAX we would do this so not tho hurt the longevity of the engine.

The main market for oils is NOT farm tractors but cars and trucks and few companies build or recommend the better tractor oils because of the price! Many will not have problems do to there oil change intervals or near perfect running conditions or they never keep them long enough!

/ What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil?
'Meets API Service Categories SM,SL,SJ, Energy conserving and ILSAC GF-4'

Oil is FormulaShell.

Really appreciate all the help!!!!

thanks,
Ken