Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    DX40 Case

Default What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil?

What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil?

I just changed the oil in my Case DX40 and I used regular 10W30, not Diesel 10W30......

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken
    'once I was young and foolish.... But now I'm older...'
    Green Mountain Alpacas

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Default Re: What is the difference between Diesel Oil and Gas Oil?

No, but next time you should use an oil designed specifically for a diesel.

The diesel oils have extra additives to be able to deal with all the soot created in a diesel engine.

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Quote Originally Posted by KenVT View Post

I just changed the oil in my Case DX40 and I used regular 10W30, not Diesel 10W30......

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken
    If you know you used the wrong oil then drain it out, change the filter and put the right stuff in it.

Why would you even consider a few bucks for oil versus a multi thousand dollar engine.

What letter codes are on the oil you put in???
    Kevin

BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I would change it out. If its virtually new oil catch it in a clean pan and pour it in a old milk jug to use on things like lawn mowers, ect.

I would not risk you expensive baby over $20 in oil.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by KenVT View Post

Is it going to explode?

Help!

Ken
    Don't over think it too much...maybe accelerate the next change interval (change the filter at this time, as well) and use the properly formulated oil next time.

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

*Most* oils are "dual rated", meaning that they cover both gasoline and diesel requirements.

Gasoline and diesel oils have different addative packages because the contaminates in the crankcase are different. With a gasoline engine you get a lot of moisture and tar and with a diesel the oil becomes acidic and will collect more carbon.

Many oils will work well in either engine type but it's always best to use an oil specially formulated to the type of engine for optimal life.

You will see things like "API SG/CJ" on the oil container, that means:

API = American Petrolium Industry
    SG = Spark ignition, grade "G"
    CJ = Compression ignition, grade "J"

The second letter is the grade designator, in alphabetical order, and later = better.
    JohnG
    We have Democracy, but were founded on Liberty.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

I am for LIBERTY!

I Support electric trailer brakes on EVERY axle over the towing vehicle's GVW, CDLs for RVers and safety inspections on ALL licensed vehicles!

Tractor
    New Holland TC 33D

As was mentioned before, many oil's are for both and will say so. But the main difference is anti foaming additives.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Quote Originally Posted by galen1115 View Post
    As was mentioned before, many oil's are for both and will say so. But the main difference is anti foaming additives.
    From looking at walmart I agree most are diesel compatible.. BUT the rating on the Mobil 1 'gas' oils is a CF diesel rating.. CF is a very old spec - 1993 and earlier engines

So YES they are compatible IF you have an older engine.. NOW it appears that most of the current diesel rated oils are much meet most of the most recent gasoline engine oil ratings..

Brian
    Bedford, VA
    2320 w/ 62D MMM, 200CX FEL, Pats EZ Change, LX4 Cutter
    Co-owner (with my father) of John Deere 790, 30 HP, 4x4, 513 cutter, 70 FEL
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

Tractor
    all makes and models

Long term problems are, and I don't like the cross oils at all between gas and diesel!

Gas engines don't like ash, Diesels need ash to help absorb the partially burnt fuel from cold operation. Gas engines will have build up of ash on the valves cutting the engine life.

The TBN on diesels should be over 1 and 1.3 or higher for a good quality diesel engine and the gas engine will live on .07 fine.

When diesels have had difficulty breaking in do to the operating conditions we would use to gas engine oil to assist as the build up that it will cause will score the glazing and allow the rings to seat. One hundred hours is the MAX we would do this so not tho hurt the longevity of the engine.

The main market for oils is NOT farm tractors but cars and trucks and few companies build or recommend the better tractor oils because of the price! Many will not have problems do to there oil change intervals or near perfect running conditions or they never keep them long enough!

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    From looking at walmart I agree most are diesel compatible.. BUT the rating on the Mobil 1 'gas' oils is a CF diesel rating.. CF is a very old spec - 1993 and earlier engines

So YES they are compatible IF you have an older engine.. NOW it appears that most of the current diesel rated oils are much meet most of the most recent gasoline engine oil ratings..
    I've looked at some of the common 10W-30 oils at the discount places and found that a lot of them are not diesel rated. Usually the synthetics and 15W-40 types carry a diesel rating. This could, in part, have something to do with the locality.

Stange as it may seem, CF is still a current API rating as of 2009. From the API website:
    "Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with over 0.5% weight sulfur. Can be used in place of CD oils."

FYI, mention was made of anti-foaming agents. They are most heavily used in racing oils.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast