Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ?

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #1  

ngzcaz

As a new member, I was looking at some past threads and came across a flat statement that a car filter will not work in a hydrostatic trans, something about the blowback valve or something. The only thing I know is that I have been changing a Fram D-16 car filter ( Jeep/Ford/Chrysler ) every year in my old D-180 Wheel Horse w/out incident. So it does work. Whether its filtering properly I don't know but the trans is as strong as when I bought the tractor. Tractor is circa 1974 or so and had ATF in it when I bought it so I continue to use Dextron ATF and the car filter. I only wish the 482 engine in it was as sound as the trans.
It would seem after ten years if there were any deleterious effects they would have popped up by now ? During snow removal this thing gets ripped back and forth w/out mercy and is smooth as silk.

:)

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #2  
This is the internet. Lots of stuff gets posted that is far from factual; some from sources that seem competent and reputable.
You just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #3  
I am glad it has worked for you. Lots of questions remain as the variables are seemingly endless. Microns of filtration? Back pressure? Flow restriction? Does motor oil, ATF and or universal hydro fluid all pump and flow the same?

Finally there is risk. For a properly designated, $15 oem hydro filter how willing are guys to risk their trans in an $15K tractor?

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #4  
Why don't you just use the proper filter that's recommended for the tractor?

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #5  
As posted above, you've gotten away with it for many years but you might have gotten away with just a filter casing also. As bp fick stated: "the variables are seemingly endless. Microns of filtration? Back pressure? Flow restriction? Does motor oil, ATF and or universal hydro fluid all pump and flow the same?" If you're happy with the end results great but I myself prefer the correct filter for the correct use.
Good luck and welcome to TBN,
Jim

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #6  
PH16, maybe?? :confused:

Generally, you can cross-reference the OEM filter at the NAPA or Fram sites. Just make sure you have the right filter - the hydro filters on most equipment I've seen have pretty heavy cases, I assume to handle the extreme pressure.

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #7  
While I cannot verify this, it has also been reported, at least in Kubota's case, that they use a magnetic ring to attract filings? If this is true, then I cannot see how an automobile oil filter is truly going to provide the same benefit, even if the threads and gasket match up.

Most guys here put less than 100 hours on their tractors a year. That means buying less than 4 hydro filters in a decade!!! Think about that. :confused::confused:
I still fail to comprehend the "I want to save money and try a car filter on my hydro" thing. But that's just me.

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #8  
   / Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #9  
I used to design and engineer filters for a living. My advice is to always use the OEM filter.

/ Car filter in a hydrostatic trans ? #10  
In most cases you get what you pay for. I will spend the money for the right part designed for the purpose.

I am far from wealthy but an extra $5 wont kill me but saving $5 could kill my tractor.