Deere oil vs. amsoil

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
I was in the local deere dealer one morning. A customer walked in and asked if his parts had shown up, They had and as they were ringing everything up, the customer asked for engine oil filter for something deere he owned and the parts guy said he would cut him a deal on deere engine oil. " I dont use that junk...." customer says, followed by "I only use amsoil". Smiling, the parts guy says, does amsoil let you go 500 hours between changes like our plus 50-II? and back it if anything happens if you have used it from day one? "Nothing will happen with amsoil, even to run that long between changes" says customer.
Myself, have always relied upon regular maintenance schedules, not so much the brand of oil or filters. The ol' man has a 6600 ford that has somewhere in the 12000 hour range, of use on the original engine. He has had to replace the water pump, have the injector pump worked on and replace the muffler. It uses oil, after 300 hours it is on the ADD spot on the dipstick. All it has seen for oil is just trusty chevron delo over the years.
I own a 94 GMC 1/2 ton pick-up with 220,000 miles on it and come 3,000 miles, its about a quart low but its gett'n drained and replaced anyhow. Runs great, had the intake of at 180,000 to fix a coolant leak and the lifter vally looked like it had been pressure washed. Chevron delo and napa brand is what it has been given for oil.
Alot of oil vs. oil arguments gets the play for longevity, but no oil replaces it-self or replaces good maintenance.

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #2  
The Deere oil comes in 0w40. From what I've read, Amsoil doesn't have this range.

I'm sold on 0wxx synthetic. It keeps my hydraulic lifters from banging on startup on my VW Cabrio. They banged with 5w30, not with 0w30.

0w30 in our old Benz gave about 1.5 mpg higher mpg over 5w40.

Think I'm switching to the Deere 0w40 synthetic next change. Been using 0w30 Mobil 1. Gotta go to the Deere place for oil filter, etc. anyway. Might as well get the oil there.

Ralph

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #3  
I've just switched to Amsoil out of convenince in my vehicles. I only have to crawl under them once a year to change the oil the way I look at it. I don't think I'm going to switch to it in my tractor, but I haven't decided. I'm not really looking at a big money saver, it may even cost more. In large diesels, Amsoil recomends having the oil tested and not changing until needed in large diesels. Some diesels take several gallons of oil. My dealer gave an example of a generator that holds something like 20 gallons of oil. It rarely runs and can now go several years between changes, thereby saving big money. I'm not after saving money as much as saving the work of less oil changes per year.

I agree that with regular changes, just about any oil will work.

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil
I do believe amsoil is as good as it says it is. When I changed the hyd/tranny fluid in the 790, I used amsoil tractor/hydraulic fluid as a replacement. I think that is where synthetics really shine like in small outdoor power equipment, rear ends, final drives, axles, gear boxes, places and things less likely to get the attention or overlooked. Im not poo-poo'n synthetics in engines, I just feel regular changes are just as economical as proven extended intervals with the high dollar filters and liquid gold oil. But like the generator applications and such if its not ran constantly, you still be money ahead with a good dino-oil wouldn't ya? If it was my back up generator and that large, I would at least run it once a year synthetic or not, to full operating temp for an hour or so, too make sure all is good. 1 hour a year check and maintenace, you could operate a generator for years alone on dino-oil like that. Hence, regular maintenance:D But once a year is a nice thought for pick-up eng. oil change, if it dont use or leak oil:D

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #5  
The problem is, most dino oil, they still say to change it at regular intervals. I suppose it could still be tested and delayed. I'm pretty sure this genarator is started on a regular basis, probably every month or week, it just isn't run for very long.

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #6  
I'm sold on 0wxx synthetic.

I too have come to this same conclusion recently and am changing everything over to either 0W30 or 0W40 oils with ACEA ratings where I can. I've done my own testing over the years based on how easily it cranks vs. temperature, how fast the oil light goes out, the sound of the engine, the feel of the engine, etc..... I live in a climate that can see +100 in the summer and -20F in the winter. Based on my personal experience, I too have come to same conclusion. 0Wxx oils will be the only ones I use in the future for my particular applications in this particular climate.

DEWFPO

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #7  
I was in the local deere dealer one morning. A customer walked in and asked if his parts had shown up, They had and as they were ringing everything up, the customer asked for engine oil filter for something deere he owned and the parts guy said he would cut him a deal on deere engine oil. " I dont use that junk...." customer says, followed by "I only use amsoil". Smiling, the parts guy says, does amsoil let you go 500 hours between changes like our plus 50-II? and back it if anything happens if you have used it from day one? "Nothing will happen with amsoil, even to run that long between changes" says customer.

Great example that advertising/propaganda works.

I looked at Amsoil years ago and they did not have a rated oil for my application. THEY said their oil was fine but it had not been tested. Not bothered to look at them since.

I switched the truck and tractor over to JD 0w40 oil a few years back. The price in a five gallon bucket was much cheaper than buying Shell 5w40 oil in one gallon jugs.

My two cents on oil changes is that you can change per the manual with cheap oil that meets the specs or buy better oil, do UOA, and changes after the manual says you need too. Either works. Time for me is hard to come by. I don't have a barn or garage to work on the truck or tractor so when it is oil change time I might not have the time or the weather prevents the work.

So I have been using synthetic to give me an edge. The truck now goes well over 2x the mileage on an oil change. I have been throwing away perfectly good oil even going over 10,000 miles on the oil. My tractor went THREE years between oil changes. Did not mean to do it but stuff happens. UOA was just fine. Well I did threw out perfectly good oil but nothing wrong with the engine.

I have seen MPG increases going from 15w40, to 5w40 and then to 0w40 oil. Not enough to pay for the oil but it helps. NOT using the engine block heater in the winter HAS paid for the synthetic.

JD makes a great oil as the JD parts guy says. I have not priced their oil recently since I won't need any for months but price/performance on the JD oil was better than anything I could get at WalleyWorld. If another oil comes out that is as good at the JD product for a cheaper price I will buy it. Until then I will keep giving JD my money for their oil. :D

JD also sells fuel and oil filters for other engines. I get filters from my Ford from JD since the price is the same or cheaper for the same product. AND the dealer gets the parts to me quick. I got tired of having to drive to three or four parts store to get a filter for the truck. No longer have that problem. It is funny getting filters for the Ford from JD though. :laughing:

I know I am lucky in having a good JD dealer. As long as they treat me right they get my money. They have been treating me right for a decade with the same people all of that time. Nice going to a place where they know your name....

They do call out my name when I get through the door...

I even pull up a stool at the counter. :D:laughing:

But get oil not a beer. Now if they would give me both! :thumbsup:

Later,
Dan

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #8  
Since JD does not make their own oil, does anybody know who makes their synthetic oil. Why has it take JD so long to get on the synthetic oil wagon. Personally I have been using Amsoil since 1988. It has given me great service. With regular oil analysis, I have had oils in my 706 IH with the 282 go 500-600 hours. Filter was changed every hundred yours. There are many fine oils out there now, but Amsoil was a real pioneer in the field and they still lead on the cutting edge of synthetic technology.

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #9  
Since JD does not make their own oil, does anybody know who makes their synthetic oil. Why has it take JD so long to get on the synthetic oil wagon. Personally I have been using Amsoil since 1988. It has given me great service. With regular oil analysis, I have had oils in my 706 IH with the 282 go 500-600 hours. Filter was changed every hundred yours. There are many fine oils out there now, but Amsoil was a real pioneer in the field and they still lead on the cutting edge of synthetic technology.

The MSDS sheets I looked at in the last week or so said most JD oils are made by ESSO of Canada. The JD non synthetic oils can go up to 500 hours as well.

Just checked some Amsoil sites. They don't appear to sell a diesel 0w40 oil. The 5w40 oil is $100 for a 2.5 gallon jug. The JD oil is $100 for a 5 gallon pail.

Later,
Dan

/ Deere oil vs. amsoil #10  
The MSDS sheets I looked at in the last week or so said most JD oils are made by ESSO of Canada. The JD non synthetic oils can go up to 500 hours as well.

Just checked some Amsoil sites. They don't appear to sell a diesel 0w40 oil. The 5w40 oil is $100 for a 2.5 gallon jug. The JD oil is $100 for a 5 gallon pail.

Later,
Dan

Amsoil doesn't make a 0W40 oil at all, neither gas or diesel rated. I don't know why. Their 5W40 is very good (I've used it), but at -20F, I rather have a 0WXX oil in the crankcase.

DEWFPO