dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil?

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #1  

SensibleNick

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT254
Hi there.
Newbie question...

I have a Foton 254, There has been some confusion over whether my hydraulic system is completely independent of the transmission, and I have now found out that it is.

The hydraulic system is currently *mostly filled with a dual purpose Transmission/Hydraulic oil, and the service guy has stated that this cannot be mixed with pure hydraulic oil.
*mostly: it needs a top-up... the FEL had lots of air in it

"It's ok to fill with pure hydraulic oil, but you must empty the system completely first" says the service bloke.

Questions...

1. Is that true, or can I mix'em?
2. How the fudge do I empty a hydraulic system when most of the oil volume is in FEL cylinders and the like? :confused:

thanks for any help!!

/Nick

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #2  
Nick

To totally drain a system you would need to take the lines off and drain. Like you said on a small tractor like your 354 that only holds 3 gallons or so like you said 1/2 or more is in the FEL. The best thing to do is drain and get a oil that is readily available and stick with it.

I would use what your dealer recommends. Since its not a common sump system you can use pure hydro oil in the hydraulic system but I would try to get as much out as possible. Your only other option is to continue to run the multi-purpose stuff like a good UTF.

Chris

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #3  
Nick

To totally drain a system you would need to take the lines off and drain. Like you said on a small tractor like your 354 that only holds 3 gallons or so like you said 1/2 or more is in the FEL. The best thing to do is drain and get a oil that is readily available and stick with it.

I would use what your dealer recommends. Since its not a common sump system you can use pure hydro oil in the hydraulic system but I would try to get as much out as possible. Your only other option is to continue to run the multi-purpose stuff like a good UTF.

Chris

DITTO :tractor:

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil?
Right, Advice taken on board. Thanks.

It turns out that the local ag. supplier has gear oil and hyd oil at good prices. The only place that sells dual purpose oil sells it at twice the price of the others. Nuts to that.
On the weekend I'll give it all a serious workout and then I'll be draining the entire system and using decent a quality hydraulic oil to replace it.

I assume that bleeding the system is simply a case of filling the reservoir and keeping it topped up as I pump the oil into the cylinders with the hyd system's pump? :eek:

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #5  
The universal tractor (trans/hydro/transmission/wet brakes) fluid is just easier to keep track. Don't have to stock two/three different fluids in your shop.

Don't know about Sweden, but here, a quality Universal Tractor Fluid can be purchased for very, very reasonable price. No more, often less than buying specific fluids for differing uses.

Right.. I've got it idling with some old petrol in the system to flush out the crud.

How long should I let it run for guys?:confused:

Last edited:
   / dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #7  
I might have preferred diesel as a flushing agent, but you said, petrol, which I take to mean gasoline?

Diesel is oily and can stay in for an hour of flushing, but gasoline (petrol), I think I would stop now. It is so much a solvent and harsh. This being new, and you are merely trying to flush out sediments, it shouldn't take too very long to suspend them.

Maybe I should explain...

Here in Sweden we have a good crack at fooling other people on April the 1st with believable yet ridiculous claims.

I hoped this would reap a huge amount of "Dear god NO!!!" responses... as petrol/gasoline can degrade rubber in an instant, and in a hydraulic system would remove all the lubricating goodness and result in an utterly ruined system... And the resultant heat would cause serious dangers.

Rest assured, I'm not going to be doing that.

All the best,

Nick
(flushing his sump with diesel)

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #9  
Maybe I should explain...

Here in Sweden we have a good crack at fooling other people on April the 1st with believable yet ridiculous claims.

I hoped this would reap a huge amount of "Dear god NO!!!" responses... as petrol/gasoline can degrade rubber in an instant, and in a hydraulic system would remove all the lubricating goodness and result in an utterly ruined system... And the resultant heat would cause serious dangers.

Rest assured, I'm not going to be doing that.

All the best,

Nick
(flushing his sump with diesel)

This is so bad even joking about it would ruin the system. Dear God NO!!.

/ dual purpose oil + Hydraulic oil? #10  
You have a FT254, that takes: STOU 10W/30 GL-4 (equiv. SAE80W transmission oil)
  • Engine sump 3.5 l (API CD)
  • Gearbox 11 l (MF1135, M2C 86A, JD J20A)
  • Front axle 4.5 l
  • Lifter 9 l (UTTO for hydraulics)
  • Steering ? l (UTTO for hydraulics)

I would recommend what the dealer already has put into the tractor, Agrol Turbo Kombi, a STOU oil. Similarly yo can use Statoil MultiWay or OKQ8 T1000, all 10W-30. You can also use Biltema Tractor Oil Universal, Kombiolja 10W-30 at 269 SEK for 10 liter.

In the FOTON manual, the requirement for oil is separated for the engine and for the transmission/hydraulics. These STOU oil recommendations above exceeds the requirements for the tractor. Both the low cost and the handling of a single oil bought in large quantities (10 or 20 liter) makes STOU a given for these 1980-decade of tractor technology.

That's what we practise with our Foton FT404, and it also came with Agrol Turbo Kombi oil in all reservoars. It worked well during the cold winter period as well.