Clogged Grease Fittings

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #1  

Obed

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4210 FEL BH
I have a John Deere 4210 Tractor. I have some grease fittings (they look like little nipples) that will not accept grease from my grease gun. I guess the grease fittings are clogged but am not certain. How do I fix this? I need to get grease to some of my moving parts.

Thanks,
Obed

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #2  
Has the unit been grease before?
Is there paint etc. covering end of nipple?..if so lightly remove.

I would remove nipple and replace w/new..could be on going problem down the road.

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #3  
Unscrew fitting and try again with the grease gun.

May be able to clean crud from backside with stiff wire. If not take to hardware or tractor supply place and match up. Very cheap item. If tractor is made overseas then its probably metric

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #4  
If you are worried about breaking the fitting by removing and replacing, and its in a safe place, Heat it with a torch of any type and usually it will free up.

Good Luck.

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #5  
I've found that if there is any petroleum based grease in the fitting, a match will ignite it and heat the fitting enough to make grease flow again.

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #6  
.....I would remove nipple and replace w/new..could be on going problem down the road.

I'm with Thomas- save yourself the aggravation- remove the zerks clean them- replace if needed

Life is short - take advantage of the easy fixes- :)

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #7  
I'm with Thomas- save yourself the aggravation- remove the zerks clean them- replace if needed

Life is short - take advantage of the easy fixes- :)

X2.
I typically just replace them as they are cheap. I keep about a dozen in the shop just for that purpose.

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #9  
Found the easiest is to just replace them; do not cost much and who needs all the extra work piddling around with them. Have had to replace several in the past couple of years on the Kioti tractor and Wood backhoe. Of course they are different sizes but keep several of both types on hand.

/ Clogged Grease Fittings #10  
Found the easiest is to just replace them; do not cost much and who needs all the extra work piddling around with them. Have had to replace several in the past couple of years on the Kioti tractor and Wood backhoe. Of course they are different sizes but keep several of both types on hand.

I agree. For less than a buck each, easier to just change them out.