Opti-Lube XPD

/ Opti-Lube XPD #31  
Thanks Brian.

I just ordered a quart.

Even their regular price on a quart was a much better deal than others have sold it for.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #32  
I have a newer Duramax that I started using XPD in. Initially I noticed quieter operation which concurs with others in this thread. I have taken the truck drag racing a couple times just for laughs, and despite Optilube's claims of improved power, the truck actually slowed down in the quarter mile just a touch with XPD added. Also, and more alarmingly, the frequency of regen cycles doubled. Beyond the aggravation of driving around with a constant fast idle, I had concerns about my emissions systems so I stopped using XPD. After another fill up or two the regens returned to their normal frequency of once per tank thankfully. Overall my opinion of Optilube is the same as the snake oil comments earlier.

That all makes sense to me. It is kind of like when I was trying to run 40:1 instead 50:1 mix in the Stihl saws. The power dropped a bit, smoked more and fowled the plug more.

Our diesels are an old 1976 MF 265 tractor and 1983 JD 310B backhoe and from time to time I use the WM TCW3 oil at 100:1 ratio. MF injector pump chatters less but can not hear a different in the JD. Both are 60 HP engines. Some run this class of oil at a 500:1 ratio in gas engines and do report both lower and higher MPG but I expect more are lower.

Additives do WORK but some times for your engine and sometimes against your engine it seems. :B

/ Opti-Lube XPD #33  
I have a newer Duramax that I started using XPD in. Initially I noticed quieter operation which concurs with others in this thread. I have taken the truck drag racing a couple times just for laughs, and despite Optilube's claims of improved power, the truck actually slowed down in the quarter mile just a touch with XPD added. Also, and more alarmingly, the frequency of regen cycles doubled. Beyond the aggravation of driving around with a constant fast idle, I had concerns about my emissions systems so I stopped using XPD. After another fill up or two the regens returned to their normal frequency of once per tank thankfully. Overall my opinion of Optilube is the same as the snake oil comments earlier.

First, You should not hear quester operation with an additive. I am sorry, but this is the placebo effect. The small amount of this stuff added simply cannot quiet an engine. Over time it could clean up the fuel system and the engine work more efficiently and become quieter, but you would not see this for some time.

Second, the chemicals in Optilube, or any of the lubricative additives, would not cause you to have a less efficient burn. Even a double does of the product should not do what you are saying it did or does. If that was the case, no drag racer would use any fuel additive and one must note that all fuel that comes from a refinery has an additive in it once it hits the fuel station. I am sorry, but I do not believe you.

The real issue we have in the US is that our fuel specs do not match the needs of the new diesels. Fuels in the US can have a scar number of up to 560. The HPFP manufacturers say you need 520 at a minimum to have a reasonable life from your HPFP and the lower the scar number the better. So running fuel with a 300 scar number will result in a HPFP that lasts longer. In the US, we need an additive that puts lubication back in our fuel. While some fuel might be OK, others might not.

That is why I posted the group buy in post 30 as it is important to protect you fuel system, even in your tractor.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #34  
First, You should not hear quester operation with an additive. I am sorry, but this is the placebo effect. The small amount of this stuff added simply cannot quiet an engine.

I do agree with you here. And, this claim no doubt gives rise to the calls that the product is snake oil.

Clue: Even the folks at OptiLube who make lots of claims about XPD, do NOT claim their product will make an engine run quieter.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #35  
As noted above it does cut the noise coming from the injector pump on the MF yet does not change the noise level at all on the JD per weak ears. That by the way with the WM TCW3. As ray66v points out noise reduction is NO a feature of diesel lubes. It is a side effect that may or may not occur.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #36  
Gale, I assume this is a low pressure pump on the MF?

/ Opti-Lube XPD
Well I know that this is all hashed out but I am still using Opti-Lube XPD. and also use Stanadyne to boost the CET Last winter it started up with out any issues. The neighbor says the tractor seems more like a gas motor than a diesel. I swear by my mix, and do not over mix it. Tony D.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #39  
The last couple years did not get many hours on either of ours and slacked off on using the WM 2 cycle oil and have had serious rusting in the filler neck on both. Going to put some grease there too. We had to use large pliers to get the fuel cap off the JD yesterday.

/ Opti-Lube XPD #40  
Gale, I assume this is a low pressure pump on the MF?

Sorry I missed this question. I do not know the answer however but bush hogged 5 hours yesterday and hear the pump clicking.