Log splitter hydraulic fluid

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #21  
I like gasoila for fittings.. though if you can't find it harvey's makes some good stuff.

soundguy

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #22  
Hi Guys....

Gonna ask a stupid question here....is the oil used in the ram and pump for a log splitter pretty much a generic hydraulic oil? hmmmm...I guess one has to define "generic" I have an old bare bones log splitter that runs and splits well, but the fluid is really low and I am not too sure the pump isn't starting to cavitate. The only thing I can tell you about it is the ram is suppose to be 22 tons and the moter is a 5hp Tecumseh. Haven't been able to find a serial or model number anywere on this thing. Any thoughts Gents? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciate as I have two 32 inch Oak tress to deal with. Thanks

Chris

Yes,
and BTW so is the brand name stuff, it is just re-badged with the tractor manufacturers' logos.

It is probably a 4 inch ram.
Without knowing where you are I can tell you that sels for hydraulic cylinders are available to several feet in diameter from a company in Worcester, Mass.
So if it is leaking because you need to re-build the cylinder I can assure you that parts are available.