Log splitter hydraulic fluid

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #1  

csr0831

Silver Member
Hi Guys....

Gonna ask a stupid question here....is the oil used in the ram and pump for a log splitter pretty much a generic hydraulic oil? hmmmm...I guess one has to define "generic" I have an old bare bones log splitter that runs and splits well, but the fluid is really low and I am not too sure the pump isn't starting to cavitate. The only thing I can tell you about it is the ram is suppose to be 22 tons and the moter is a 5hp Tecumseh. Haven't been able to find a serial or model number anywere on this thing. Any thoughts Gents? :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciate as I have two 32 inch Oak tress to deal with. Thanks

Chris

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #2  
If you have a Tractor Supply near you go there and ask what they recommend for their log splitters, should be the same.

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #3  
First log splitter I owned came with Auto transmission fluid in it . Sold it to one of my brothers who then added regular hydraulic fluid . Bad Idea !!

Started foaming and burping fluid out . Had to drain entire system , flush , then refill .

Does not matter really what you use , Hydraulic or tranny , just use the same . Most clear is hydraulic , reddish tint is likely transmission fluid .

I recently switched from a regular brand off the shelf hydraulic fluid to Cenex Brand ISO-VG 46 Ultra clean . Just added it to regular fluid that was in there with out problems . May be different weights / viscosity hydraulic fluids but does not matter as long as it is same . I.E. if hydraulic add more hydraulic , If reddish tint , Use Auto Transmission fluid .

Fred H.

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #4  
As suggested above I would drain what is in it as much as possible and replenish with something like AW32 or heavier hydraulic oil.

Ask around and see what locals are running. Climate and time of the year that you use it will dictate the fluid to be used.

Chris

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #5  
I use same oil i put in my tractor hydro. doesnt seem to be affected. Before it was hydraulic oil from TSC. I had it drained and used the same oil. Less bottles of spare oil to keep around.

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #7  
Not to sure about your splitter, but I am in the elevator trade and we use hydraulic fluids all the time. There is two types of hydraulic fluids (ie Foaming and NON-foaming). We have to use the non foaming due to the stirring up that the pumps do. Being said, the AW32 will be good for what you need. Our Hydros use this and they don't have any issues.

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid
Hi Guys.....

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the fluid and it seems to be hydraulic fluid, NOT ATF. Looks kind of a like a light wt. motor oil. Couple of questions here....this particular splitter has the storage tank between the wheels. There seems to be about 2 inches of fluid in there right now and the tank is probably 5 inches high...any idea how full it should be? Additionally I tried to split a piece of wood and the ram kind of jerked a bit and hesitated a little from time to time....low oil? At some point during the split...or the return stroke a little oil was regurgitate from the filler cap on the tank...any ideas? Thank for all the help...this forum is awesome! :thumbsup:

Chris

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #9  
Use any AW hydraulic oil 46 or 68...not ATF

/ Log splitter hydraulic fluid #10  
Hi Guys.....

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the fluid and it seems to be hydraulic fluid, NOT ATF. Looks kind of a like a light wt. motor oil. Couple of questions here....this particular splitter has the storage tank between the wheels. There seems to be about 2 inches of fluid in there right now and the tank is probably 5 inches high...any idea how full it should be? Additionally I tried to split a piece of wood and the ram kind of jerked a bit and hesitated a little from time to time....low oil? At some point during the split...or the return stroke a little oil was regurgitate from the filler cap on the tank...any ideas? Thank for all the help...this forum is awesome! :thumbsup:

Chris

My thought would be to fill it to nearly full. It will probably expand a bit when hot. My wood splitter is nearly full but does have a bit of space. I suspect if you are down to 2 inches it may be on the low side. :)