Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil?

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Other than a bit more in Detergents (and maybe I am misreading the label) what is the difference between Mobil 1 Synth and Mobil 1 Diesel Synth?

Does it really matter? You use regular motor oil in a diesel so why this bs with synth?

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #2  
In short...the difference is additives,base oil,TBN, LOTS more to it but thats the deal....

do not run a PCMO(passenger car motor oil) in a diesel,not built for it, BUT,,you can run a HDEO(heavy duty engine oil)in a gasser with great results.

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #3  
Nearly every gasoline engine oil is rated for diesel engines, BUT they are rated CF which for lack of a better term considered obsolete when used in a diesel engine. If you have a tractor that specs CC/CD then using a CF lubricant is still acceptable. Just check the donut on the back of the container you are looking at SM/CF should be present if its API rated.

Even Mobil 0W-20 is SM/CF

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the following industry specifications

ACEA A1,B1
API SM,SL,SJ,EC,CF
ILSAC GF4
Ford WWS WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
Chrysler MS-6395

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

CJ-4 Service Category Description

The engine oil service guide will break down the API donut for you and lists all previous service catagories.

http://www.apicj-4.org/2009_ENGINE_OIL_GUIDE.pdf

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #4  
I shamelessly borrowed this image from another site. Note the API donut SL/CF, still diesel rated even though its a gasoline oil. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 5W-40b.JPG
    5W-40b.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 564
   / Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil?
So I really don't understand all these specs, but this is what my oil says

# ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)
# API SM/SL
# GM 6094M/GM4718M
# Requirements for Diesel Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is Recommended
# ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5

I can't find any real notes on the oil in my manual, but there is this from a different machine (same engine)

Engine oil should have properties of API classification CC/SE or CC/SF grades.

Anyone want to give me a laymans notes on this?

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil?
OK. So I put in Mobil 1 10/30 in my tractor.... It is fine to continue to use as it is rated for diesel, correct?

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #7  
Easiest way to know you are using the correct product for your application is to go buy a current diesel oil of your liking, either CI-4+ or CJ-4 which is the current standard. You cannot go wrong with any product from Delvac, Rotella, Pennzoil long life etc.

All you need to know about the specs you found is they are out of date and will not be found listed on a current product on the shelves. All current oils are backward compatible, so you can use CJ-4 in a CC or CD spec'd engine.

You do not need a synthetic to meet the specs of CF FYI. As an example every viscosity of Mobil Clean 5000 (a conventional oil) meets the requirements for CD/CF.

Mobil Clean 5000

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #8  
In a nutshell, you're good to go!

Somebody once said, "Standards are wonderful. There's so many of them." Yes, more organizations are springing up and they're all setting their own standards especially in light of emissions standards. GF-4 is one of the new ones, and rather silly in my opinion. API has been an old US standard that still works. In your case, your oil is rated for CD & CF and your engine requires CC. So your oil ratings have exceeded the requirements of CC oils.

It's already in, as stated above you are good to go. It does meet or exceed the requirement.

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #9  
OK. So I put in Mobil 1 10/30 in my tractor.... It is fine to continue to use as it is rated for diesel, correct?
Is this a diesel tractor?

if so i would NOT run that PCMO oil,stick to a CI-4 or CJ-4 HDEO, but hey to each is his own.

/ Difference between Synthetic Diesel and Normal Synthetic oil? #10  
If you look at the time stamps, we're all typing while the other one is posting. ;)

I caught that.

A CI-4/CJ-4 may be prefered but for 1 oil change a CF rated oil will not hurt a thing.