Bio-diesel

/ Bio-diesel #21  
How old is your truck? If it's an older truck then I say go for it. If it's brand new and you don't mind giving up the warranty then have fun. I personally would do it if I had an older car or truck with a diesel. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to blend the oils and not have them separate. Plus I am cheap and I would want to run 100% veggie to get the best savings. I also don't think trying to process it is worth the effort.

A pick-up would be an ideal choice. Lots of room to add a second tank. I've seen the oil heated using radiator fluid but I think I would use electrical heat tape and a heating pad. I've also seen timers to switch between diesel and veggie to avoid having it gel in the injectors. So I say if you have a source, have a truck you don't mind experimenting with, and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty then go for it.

I for one would like to hear how it works out for you.

/ Bio-diesel #22  
I think the first thing I would do would be to take a one gallon glass jar, add about 5% veggie oil, then top off with diesel and swirl and let stand and see if it noticably seperates.

Certainly not a lab standard level test, but if I could see it come out of suspension in a week or two I would not be comfortable running it as I would not be sure when I would get a slug of WVO through the system.

Slightly off topic but I have a buddy running a centrifuge to clean used motor oil and then blending it back in at 5% or so and running it in his early powerstroke (cannot remember exact year) Has not had any problems over the past year plus.

We ran some systems in the second stage of testing blending drained oil from oil changes directly from the drain pan, through a straight filtration system back into the fuel systems of the military trucks. Major problem was that the maintenance folks were extremely suspect of the "black fuel" and any problem encountered on the vehicle was attributed to that. TARDEC ran the initial testing on the systems and approved them for us to field trial. I think one was a Clarus or Inland Technology (don't remember which) system and I believe one was a Baldwin (or at least used Baldwin filters).

I wandered from the WVO, sorry, but thought it was somewhat on point.

I guess seperation would be my initial concern that I would address prior to running it and fighting a seperation problem which I would think would show up as clogged filters depending on the engine.

Good luck and please follow up on it as you go.

/ Bio-diesel #23  
You can do whatever you want and rely on publications like Mother Earth News. I put a lot more faith in Chemical and Engineering News, The Chemical Engineer's Handbook, and Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials.

Based on your reading list, I'm gonna hazard a guess that you're absolutely no fun at a party. :p

(joke, ok?)

/ Bio-diesel #24  
:laughing:

Not a bad joke either.

I like TBN because I learn a lot from a lot of guys with more experience than I have in a wide variety of areas.

Most of the time I try to be one of the guys, but every once in a while it is worthwhile to state the qualifications I have to explain the viewpoint I have.

/ Bio-diesel #25  
Hello All,

I may be late to this thread, but I do think I may have some useful information,

I currently have a 2005 F-250 with the 6 litre Powerstoke motor. Please no flames for the motor or the truck.

Just over 2 years ago, I installed a Vegistoke kit in the truck (Dino Fuel Alternatives | Alternative Fuel, Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems, Vegistroke & Bio Diesel). I now have over 30K miles on the truck burning straight cleaned WVO.

All I can say is WOW!

Thw Vegistroke kit paid for itself the first summer I had it. Remember, diesel was over $5/gallon. I was getting, and still get all my WVO FREE! I estimate I spend 2 hours a week collecting and cleaning the fuel before transferrring it into the tank on my truck. My only problem is that I can't get enough WVO. But I do have a source of cleaned WVO, and it is always about $1/gallon less than diesel.

I have had ZERO issues with my truck since adding the Vegisrtoke kit. the truck actually runs quieter because of the added lubrication properties of the WVO over ULSD.

I am still looking for an Excusrion diesel. I plan to add a Vegistroke kit to that truck.

I hope this helps clear up some of the issues that have been discussed here.

Marc

/ Bio-diesel #26  
What risk?

If the WVO is not up to temperature or not enough fuel pressure at the fuel pump (Vegistroke fuel pump), the system automatically reverts back to the OEM fuel system running diesel.

The truck starts and stops on diesel and switches over to WVO automatically. I can also switch the sytem off manually. When i shut the truck off, the Vegistroke system keeps the truck running while purginf the fuel rails of WVO.

At free or $1/gaallon saving, I figure I've saved over $3000 as I write this. And that's after the initial costs and elated expenses.

marc

/ Bio-diesel
AlanB I was thinking along the same lines,I just thought that someone may have came out with a way to blend them,by now. I appreciate the comments from several others also including crazyal and Vtfirefter. It looks like I will probably be burning it straight,heated and well filtered. I have 2 diesel trucks one is a 91 and the other a 2004,both are Dodges. I was planning on running it in the 91. Curly Dave I really do not care about your chemistry back ground,that has nothing to do with my questions. I have found that veggie oil is being used all over the world. You will also find that the chemist's at McDonald's think enough of it to run it in their trucks,hopefully you checked out the link I quoted. Just because one is not a chemist does not make one stupid. I have known many people over the course of my life that have all the degrees in the world,but have absolutely no common sense. I have also known people that could tell you how to do a complete overhaul,yet could not do it themselves because they can not turn a wrench. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. But no where did I ask if I should or should not do it. I asked how others were doing it and was looking for ideas. Vtfirefter seems to be doing Okay,as do others that are using it.

/ Bio-diesel #28  
I unfortunately do not have the name of the company where he got his stuff, but i was had display space next to a guy who burned WVO in his truck and car. He said as a general rule, it needed to be an older vehicle. His WVO was filtered, then some kerosene, a small amount of proprietary liquid that i think a little isopropanol or methanol dry gas, and possibly something else was added. It was not converted into biodiesel. He then burned it without the heater fuel tank etc. He drove tens of thousands of miles per year on the stuff. However, it was not usable in NY in the winter because it would gel. It had to be mixed at least 50% with diesel/kerosene for the winter, probably much more.

Ken

/ Bio-diesel #29  
WVO has been used extensively in "Green" projects, cars and trucks. One of the most "famous" ran an old Rabbit diesel on the stuff straight from the fryer and into his fuel tank. He freely admitted that he spent a LOT of money on fuel filters.

With minimal effort, most engines operated in warm climates will run just fine on WVO but if it gets even "cool" where you live, you will need to pre-heat or blend it before it will be pumpable.

VO does not cause a more quiet runing engine because it lubricates better than #2D, LSD or ULSD - although it is TRUE compared to all. It is quieter because it has lower energy per unit volume and MUCH higher cetane.

If you have a ROTARY type injection pump, I would advise AGAINST using straight WVO unless you fit a low pressure supply pump to feed the IP. The VE model rotary pumps that are widely used in automotive, Ag and Marine products, like most other rotary types DO NOT take well to high inlet restrictions (having to suck the fuel to the pump) commonly found with thicker fuels like WVO.