more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service)

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
Just changed hydraulic and engine fluids and did all the goodies on my tractor for the 400 hour service.
I used SUDT after lots of agonizing and reading everything here and listening to all the dealers promote their brand of oil.

The book said to use SUDT so I did.

Here's what I noticed with the new fluid...

All the hydraulics seemed faster and smoother. Could be simply because I had clean, new fluid and all new filters, who knows but here's the biggie...

At the 50 hours service, when I changed the filters I lost a bit of fluid so I topped my tractor off with JD HYGARD because the JD dealer was 3 miles from my house and the Kubota dealer was 40 miles away and everyone said the HYGARD was fine. A no brainer to me.

Now I'm not knocking the HYGARD but I immediately picked up a very noticeable and annoying transmission whine, particularly under load, but I chose not to worry about it and lived with it for 350 hours.

With the new SUDT, the whine is gone. For my money, I'll use the Kubota stuff from now on.

your mileage may vary,
different strokes for different folks,
whatever floats your boat
etc, etc

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #2  
I don't blindly "rah" "rah" Kubota's stuff. I frankly prefer a quality Hastings oil filter made by Cornhuskers in Nebraska over a Kubota oil filter made in China, for example. I also do not believe there is anything special about Kubota motor oil, for another example. They just re-brand whoever they contract, Ashland likely.

HOWEVER, when it comes to SUDT and my BX, I had a similar experience as you described. I topped off my HST with some "premium generic" fluid when adding my FEL. Less than 2 quarts. What harm would that do?

Nasty whine and foam. It wasn't pretty. I didn't see that coming.

Drained it all and re-filled with SUDT and all is well. It only whines like it always has. :)

Until something else comes along that I can have confidence in, only SUDT goes in and a Kubota HST filter will ever go on. Of course, due to having to dump and re-fill, I'm good now for a few hundred hours anyhow.:D

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service)
Actually, the only kubota stuff I used was the HST filter, the hydraulic filter, and the SUDT.
Everything else is something else. :)

I use Shell oil in the engine, WIX or Hasting filters...

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #4  
I see many people who talk about there oils and how good they are and I do often preach about the differences.
I'm sorry I do as I know it hurts my shop work!

Knowing that there are also filter differences and having Fleetgaurd for our second brand or our universal brand and the differences of paper meshes used, there are differences there too!!!!!
Shell Rotella is not a good oil for tractors but does fine in trucks and cars.
Wix filters I think I've seen more recalls for certain models than any other filter. Same as NAPA.

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service)
Why ain't shell good in tractors?

Honest question here.

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #7  
   / more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #8  
I would relate the "Rotella is not a good oil in tractors" to the same issue as why one oil is better than another. Personal preference.
I'm sure this will start a very nice "discussion". :D

/ more my "sudt vs others" thread. (400 hour service) #10  
Shell Rotella is not a good oil for tractors

I agree Rotella T is not a good oil for tractors... It is a GREAT oil for tractors,
I use T6 in my tractors, cars, truck and all my small gas engines... It must be Great... KennyV