Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup?

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I've been looking around at how I buy fuel, store fuel, and fill the tractor, and the whole process could use some improvement.

Why deal with the hazard and hassle of my 5 gallon cans, 55 gallon drums, or the 275 gallon truck mount tank when my diesel pickup is in town everyday and it has two clean and pristine 25 gallon tanks already on it with a straight run from the filler down into the tank.

So the easiest thing would be to fill the pickup in town and pump fuel from the pickup into the tractor. It's such an obvious idea that there is probably some sort of pump on the market already. Anyone use one?
Thanks, rScotty

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #2  
I have been thinking about this type of fueling solution as well. I will be interested to read how this is being done by others.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #3  
I did this by using a Ford fuel tank w/internal pump (all EFI trucks and '99 up diesels) to hold fuel. It could then be pumped into any vehicle, tractor or equipment by connecting the pump leads with alligator clips to a battery (typically on the tractor).

I had various methods and arrangements but the tank went with the p/u when I sold it :( thinking that the "new" diesel had an electric pump, alas it does not..... yet.

The beauty of this is you can get a good used complete fuel tank for like $50, they hold 15-33 gallons (van tank), are DOT compliant (hey they came OFF a vehicle right) are are easy to load into the bed of a p/u or onto a trailer with a FEL. You can even use one tank of a two tank system in a gas or diesel truck (I tried that too). It's just a matter of wiring the pump and providing for a fuel hose. The filler is already there :)

'90s vintage GM/Chebby trucks with duel tanks had no in-tank pump but had a transfer pump inside the left frame rail over the axle that moved fuel from the flat rear tank (sits nicely in a truck too) to the tube type front tank. You can use the rear tank for storage and the pump to move it. With the bed off, they are ultra easy to remove.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #4  
i just use 5 gallon deisel porables but then again i seldom put over 5 gallons in the tank at a time. If you use that much fuel seems like you would not want to pump out of your truck tank as this makes you run on-road deisel in your tractor wasting .30 cents a gallon on every gallon. If your putting an auxilliary tank into the bed like mentioned the off-road will not be an issue. But if you put off road into a mounted truck tank that has fuel lines to the engine, wether running off it or not this is illegal. Under bed tanks not plumed to the engine are fine im sure as i have seen loggers mount them under their box truck service trucks to use as transfer tanks. But if you have a 275 gallon transfer tank already why not just use it?

-nate

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #6  
On road deisel is not even $4/gallon right now. It is going somewhere from $2.99/gallon on the interstate now i just saw it today. If i go here local it might be like $2.79 or 2.89. Are we sure that something is not getting lost in the litres to gallon conversion or pound or euro to the dollar? Man how does your economy work. If onroad were $4 over the $2.49 for ofroad that would make it almost $7/gallon for onroad. This would kill our economy if would put all my loggers out of business and nothing would be delivered at that price. Commodies would shoot up so much no one could buy anything and businesses would close left and right sending an already tipsy economy into an unrecoverable downward spiral.

-Nate

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup?
......... If you use that much fuel seems like you would not want to pump out of your truck tank as this makes you run on-road deisel in your tractor wasting .30 cents a gallon on every gallon. nate

That's a fair question, nate. My answer may surprise you....in fact it surprises me. But I don't see it as wasting .30 cents a gallon. I use the roads a lot and don't use all that much diesel. So I guess for me tractor fuel differential is a negligible amount of money, part of the operating expense...and not worth the hassle to keep separate supplies of road diesel and off road diesel. My buddy's a wheat farmer and for him it's different. That seems fair to me. He uses his tractor off road to make a living; I don't.
rScotty

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #8  
Are we sure that something is not getting lost in the litres to gallon conversion or pound or euro to the dollar?

Here are my figures - £1.26 a litre road diesel, £0.55 a litre red diesel (it does carry some tax), 3.8 litres to US Gallon (4.5 to UK Gallon), $1.5 to £1 - so,

Road diesel = $7.18 US Gallon, $8.50 UK Gallon

Red Diesel = $3.15 US Gallon, $3.71 UK Gallon

As I said, you guys are lucky!

Man how does your economy work.

Badly - but things are now looking up as we have finally got rid of the truely awful last administration.

However, as I think has been discussed once or twice over your side of the pond, the money for "free" healthcare etc comes from somewhere.

J

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #9  
On road deisel is not even $4/gallon right now. It is going somewhere from $2.99/gallon on the interstate now i just saw it today. If i go here local it might be like $2.79 or 2.89. Are we sure that something is not getting lost in the litres to gallon conversion or pound or euro to the dollar? Man how does your economy work. If onroad were $4 over the $2.49 for ofroad that would make it almost $7/gallon for onroad. This would kill our economy if would put all my loggers out of business and nothing would be delivered at that price. Commodies would shoot up so much no one could buy anything and businesses would close left and right sending an already tipsy economy into an unrecoverable downward spiral.

-Nate

Guess what we are headed for?

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #10  
Here are my figures - 」1.26 a litre road diesel, 」0.55 a litre red diesel (it does carry some tax), 3.8 litres to US Gallon (4.5 to UK Gallon), $1.5 to 」1 - so,

Road diesel = $7.18 US Gallon, $8.50 UK Gallon

Red Diesel = $3.15 US Gallon, $3.71 UK Gallon

As I said, you guys are lucky!

Badly - but things are now looking up as we have finally got rid of the truely awful last administration.

However, as I think has been discussed once or twice over your side of the pond, the money for "free" healthcare etc comes from somewhere.

J

If we had that much price difference they would have to dip tanks at every interestion.