Why so many oil filters?

/ Why so many oil filters? #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I am always amazed when I go to get an oil filter. Why do you need 50 different sizes? Why don't they just standardize it by engine size? Break it at each liter engine size and you are at less than ten. Let one cover a 2 liter range and you have 4 or 5. Know your engine size and you know your filter. Am I totally off base?

/ Why so many oil filters? #2  
What a killjoy you are. :D

Next you'll be wanting a single remote for all the electronics junk we have in our homes. :confused2:

/ Why so many oil filters? #4  
I agree 100%.

But if you actually take the time to cross reference filters and compair sizes, there really arent that many. Just add a 1/4 " length and change the number. Add 1/8" diameter and change the #, etc. There are only a handful of thread sizes and only about 2 that are commonly used. Likewise there are only a few o-ring sizes. Some have anti-drainback and some do not. And some have different relief settings. But there are a lot that can mix and match.

Just off the top of my head a fram 3614 is the same as a 3600, but the 3600 is longer. The 3600 is the same as the PH8A, but the PH8A is a litter fatter.

If I have an engine that calls for a 3614, I will use the 8A if I have enough room. I seldom use the filters that are specified. I look online at the specs for the threads and o-ring diameter and I will get the largest filter that matches that I can fit on the engine.

/ Why so many oil filters? #5  
I agree. I maintain over 75 engines and its a never ending battle. One thing I like about Ford and Dodge is they use the same couple filters for about 90% of the stuff they build. GM on the other hand is nuts. Its like was your truck built on Monday or Wednesday, what color is it, does it have cup holders in the center counsel?:laughing:

Chris

/ Why so many oil filters? #6  
Yep why i like fords there is the big ford filter and the small one. The 8a and maybe that 3614 for the small or whatever the small one is. They use the smaller one on many cars and most trucks use 8a (fram). Most gm trucks are either the ph 5 or the other smaller one (dont remember #) But i have not messed with many vehicles over the 2000 date so it may have changed, i was in highschool inthe late 90s and worked at a parts store in early 00's so things have changed, but is HS all the stuff was well older than that 80's to 90's and all GMs were pretty much the same on trucks.

/ Why so many oil filters? #7  
I agree. I maintain over 75 engines and its a never ending battle. One thing I like about Ford and Dodge is they use the same couple filters for about 90% of the stuff they build. GM on the other hand is nuts. Its like was your truck built on Monday or Wednesday, what color is it, does it have cup holders in the center counsel?:laughing:

Chris

yep.. there are a few different filters for my yukon, based on age, 4wd, ac, trans type, and a couple other things. not to mention the nice suspension member right under it that makes you spill oil because you have to invert the filter to get it out the lil maze they left you... grrrrr... :(

small oil filter too.. of those 4 choices, 2 are the same except for lenght. mine actually specs the shorter filter ( still have to spill oil to get it out. ).. I figure dout hte longe rone fits in there fine.. just have to take the maze a lil differently.. picked up a whopping half inch of filte rmedia i guess.. other filter was like those 8oz coke cans.. way anemic looking for a 5.3l engine :(

soundguy