What to do with Bad Gas?

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #1  

polo1665

Tractor
Branson 3510H, John Deere X750
Please forgive the seemingly stupid question I am about to ask.
We recently decided to start driving a car that has sat idle for the last 7 years. Needless to say the gas is no good, we started the vehicle and it ran very badly.
I was advised to run the vehicle out of gas, but after a short drive I lost my nerve and decided to siphon the gas from the tank. After doing this and refilling with fresh gas and injector cleaner, the car is running 100% better.
Now the question..........I siphoned about 14 gallons of gas out of this vehicle, what do I do with the bad gas? Can I add an additive to the gas (octane boost) to make it useable in my mower, or am I stuck with using it to get fires going? I've got 3 gas cans tied up with this crap.
Any advise or knowledge on the subject from the group would be appreciated.

Mark

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #2  
What to not do with it..... don't add good gas to the bad assuming that the bad will get sufficiently diluted/good to use in an internal combustion engine...don't ask how I know.

Also, crazy as it sounds, I tried to use old gas to start a fire to burn some trash....didn't work...I could drop a flame on the "gas" soaked material...no flame propagation ..had to put new diesel on it to get a fire started.

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #3  
Check with your local Fire Dept or local goverment. Many agencies have haz-mat recycling at regular periods for free. Much better than using it to kill weeds.

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #4  
Please forgive the seemingly stupid question I am about to ask.
We recently decided to start driving a car that has sat idle for the last 7 years. Needless to say the gas is no good, we started the vehicle and it ran very badly.
I was advised to run the vehicle out of gas, but after a short drive I lost my nerve and decided to siphon the gas from the tank. After doing this and refilling with fresh gas and injector cleaner, the car is running 100% better.
Now the question..........I siphoned about 14 gallons of gas out of this vehicle, what do I do with the bad gas? Can I add an additive to the gas (octane boost) to make it useable in my mower, or am I stuck with using it to get fires going? I've got 3 gas cans tied up with this crap.
Any advise or knowledge on the subject from the group would be appreciated.

Mark

Strike a match? the smell will go away soon!!!!!:laughing:

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #5  
Check with your local Fire Dept or local goverment. Many agencies have haz-mat recycling at regular periods for free. Much better than using it to kill weeds.

Seriously--- I think this is the best idea..

J

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #6  
That's a lot of gas and seven years is pretty old. Stale gas does not light by match in my experience.
Haz-mat recycling is a better idea than trying to burn it in your car a gallon or two per tankfull.

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #7  
Do not feel bad. I have taken 150 gallons of bad gas out of a boat before. Its worthless. Call your local recycling center or haz mat folks like others said and make it go by by.

Chris

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #8  
I would see if your dump or recycle center has a recovery tank. As I am a pyro by nature and burn piles of brush/stuff occasionally, I sometimes use old petroleum products to ignite it. Don't trust the statement that stale gas won't ignite unless you are unhappy with your eyebrows.

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #9  
Do not feel bad. I have taken 150 gallons of bad gas out of a boat before. Its worthless. Call your local recycling center or haz mat folks like others said and make it go by by.

Chris

Ouch. That's a lot to dipose of.

The big one I need to work out is the disposal of around 40# of Mercury. The local haz-mat recycle will take it, but it's worth quite a bit of money and I don't want to just give it away for free.:(

/ What to do with Bad Gas? #10  
Use instead of water next time you mix up and apply roundup.