Switching to synthetic

/ Switching to synthetic #1  

greene acres guy

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I have a John Deere 2305 with 80 hrs on it, I want to switch to JD synthetic oil, however I heard I should wait until it has 100 hrs on it before I switch from conventional to synthetic oil to insure it is broke in properly. Does anyone know if this is true.

/ Switching to synthetic #2  
I have a John Deere 2305 with 80 hrs on it, I want to switch to JD synthetic oil, however I heard I should wait until it has 100 hrs on it before I switch from conventional to synthetic oil to insure it is broke in properly. Does anyone know if this is true.

Switch now..You can switch at zero hours and be fine.

/ Switching to synthetic #3  
John Deere has recommendations for a longer period of "break in" oil than many manufacturers. I am fairly certain your dealer, your manual and/or the service bulletins on Deere.com are all going to clearly state re-fill with break in oil the first change time, up to 100 hours I believe. This has been posted many times here. To do otherwise is to make your own judgement against Deere's own guidelines, but, hey. It is your machine and your call. Does Deere have solid "evidence" of the efficaciousness of their procedure? Is the data out of date? Tough call. People typically point toward the large number of new autos coming with synthetic installed from day one, but it is questionable whether one can extrapolate that directly to a Deere engine.

/ Switching to synthetic #4  
I switched out my 2210 at around 84 hrs. to Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT, and currently at about 164 hrs. have not had any oil consumption where I needed to add more. My manual only stated to change the oil and filter at 50 hrs., which I did with JD Plus 50 15W-40 prior to changing again at 84 hrs. The only reason being 84 hrs. it was the end of the season & I wanted the synthetic mainly for the winter coming up. That being said, IMHO, I believe more importantly is how you used the tractor the 1st 80 hrs. If you used is mainly for tasks such as grass cutting, I would wait until 100 hrs. Heavier use, such as pulling a box blade where you would put more of a strain on the engine, you should be just fine switching out now.

Deere does have publications stating to wait until 100 before changing the "break-in oil". While I'm a big fan of synthetics, I would follow what ever your manual says.

Frontier Power Products - Deere Break-In Oil