Diesel Sta-bil

/ Diesel Sta-bil #1  

msb1766

Platinum Member
Tractor
SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar
Stopped at Tractor Supply yesterday and saw bottles of Diesel Sta-bil.
The bottle was 16 oz. tthe label said "new" on it.

This is from their web site:

Diesel fuel degrades with time, causing darkening of the fuel, as well as sludge and sediment formation within the fuel tank. These issues are even more prevalent in bio-diesel and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels. This can lead to the plugging of filters, starting problems, poor engine performance and reduced engine life. Diesel Formula STA-BILョ keeps diesel fuel fresh, promotes thermal oxidative stability, protects against corrosion and helps remove water which bacteria, fungus and algae require to grow. It also contains extra lubricity and detergents to protect and clean your entire fuel system. For more information on Diesel Tank Maintenance, click here: Diesel Tank Maintenance.pdf

/ Diesel Sta-bil #2  
I stored a car for 4 1/2 years with a full diesel tank. Sampled the fuel. Yes, it had turned brown. Used it though, but had to put some Chevron Techron in it to fix a constant speed ping. When we bought it new, it had this ping, and the Techron stopped it.

I'd think problems of having diesel turn brown are LESS with ULSD, since most of the ugly components have been removed along with the sulfur. However, I can see where there are plenty of components in biodiesel that could react and turn the fuel, brown or otherwise.

Unless you're storing a diesel vehicle for more than about 6 months, I say you don't need this Stabil stuff.

Ralph

/ Diesel Sta-bil #3  
90% of the repairs I do for neighbors on their snowblowers, weed whippers, chain saws, outboards, lawn mowers and so forth, are fuel crud related.

I try hard to discourage the storage of fuels, in the tank, in the carb bowl, etc.

It's just me, perhaps, but I see almost no reason to do so. While not that familiar with long term diesel storage, I apply the same, time tested philosophy. Some of these various engines get stored for far too long with fuel which goes cruddy. There just isn't a general public knowledge on these matters, it seems to me. I dunno. I tell people, within reason, to "store" their fuel down at the fuel mart where they trade, as much as possible. Embracing more of a "just in time" is my personal leaning. There are few things more frustrating than old fuels. These various sta-bil products have their place, but......

/ Diesel Sta-bil #4  
I could use a good diesel fuel stabilizer since I buy off road diesel by the barrel. I've never had it change color or go bad but I am most worried about water and algae.

/ Diesel Sta-bil #5  
Try using Sea Foam. It's for gas and diesel. I actually add a little bit to my gas each time I fill up the jugs when I bring them home. I may use it all up in a week, or it may be 3 months before I use it (especially my 2 stroke mix... just depends on if I'm mad at trees or not).

If I'm storing a vehicle for the winter, I never drain the bowls/tank. I fill them up, add a little more Sea Foam and run it so I'm sure it's in the bowls, and shut it down and store for winter/summer. Never had an issue.

/ Diesel Sta-bil #6  
I could use a good diesel fuel stabilizer since I buy off road diesel by the barrel. I've never had it change color or go bad but I am most worried about water and algae.
As you should be but with a good diesel treat with a algaecide additive that would do the trick.

/ Diesel Sta-bil #7  
"They" say that "PRI-D" (google is your friend) is the bomb for keeping diesel from going bad. I haven't used it personally but I've got a friend that swears by it and the 'internet' seems to have good reviews. In fact I'm going to order a jug of it.

/ Diesel Sta-bil #8  
Snake oil.

Power Service and Biocide will do everything you need to do.

Diesel fuel is not the same as gasoline, Stabil is a nice product for gas, not needed if you are properly treating diesel.

/ Diesel Sta-bil #9  
It has been said that the russians have millions of tons of diesel stored in caverns since the 1940s and it is still usable. Not too sure about that but I am a boat captain and deal in fuel by the long ton. The only problems we have ever had with diesel(except foreign high parrafin stuff) is moisture and algae. Most moisture will be removed with a pair of Ray-Cor filters.