Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #1  

WarEagleDan

Tractor
Farmtrac 3130DT
My tractor OM calls for "Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid". Anyone know what a suitable sub for this is?
Thanx,
Dan

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #2  
My guess is that Conoco isn't anything particularly special. In other words, any higher quality house brands would be just fine. TSC and/or WalMart typically have a few choices. If you wish to pay more, Case-New Holland or a Deere dealership will have their good products to offer.

What you did not do was provide the tractor name/model which might have given some further guidance.

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #3  
Your tractor wouldn't happen to be a Hitachi would it? ConocoPhillips makes a high grade hydraulic oil called Ecoterra. They also make general purpose anti-wear hydraulic fluids (AW) and detergent blends for more critical applications (AW/D). If you go to the link above you can read about Ecoterra and here is the general website with a list of all their lubricants for reference. By seeing what the the specific Conoco hydraulic fluid is and finding it on this list, you'll be better prepared to make comparisons/substitutions.

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Are there any specs listed in the manual.. for instance.. many ford / NH machines spec M2C134D oil.. etc. what's yours say?

soundguy

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid
It's a Farmtrac (LS) 3130. It doesn't give any specs, just says Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. thanx

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #6  
Power Tran
Multipurpose Hydraulic/Transmission/Final Drive Fluid For Farm Tractors

Conoco PowerTran Fluid is a multifunctional fluid specially formulated for use in farm tractors and other off-highway equipment requiring one lubricant for the transmission, final drive, wet brakes and hydraulic systems. It meets the performance requirements of all major brands of farm tractors and other farm equipment that utilize a common fluid reservoir.

PowerTran Fluid is formulated to provide excellent oxidation resistance, excellent wear protection, protection against rust and corrosion, and resistance to foaming. It has carefully balanced frictional properties to ensure proper operation of wet brakes and transmission clutches.
Applications
PowerTran Fluid is recommended for use where the equipment manufacturer specifies:

* AGCO (Deutz-Allis) Power Fluid 821XL
* AGCO (White Farm) Q-1826, Q-1802 (Type 55 Fluid), Q-1766B
* Case IH MS1210, MS1209, MS1207, MS1206
* Case New Holland (CNH) MAT3525 (134-D Fluid), MAT3509, MAT3506, MAT3505
* Caterpillar TO-2 (obsolete)
* Denison Hydraulics HF-0, HF-1, HF-2
* Ford ESN-M2C134-D, ESN-M2C86-C, ESN-M2C86-B, ESN-M2C41-B
* Ford-New Holland FNHA-2-C-201.00
* John Deere JDM J20C, J14C (Type 303 Fluid)
* Kubota UDT Fluid
* Landini Tractor II Hydraulic Fluid
* Massey Ferguson CMS M1145, M1143, M1141, M1135, M1129A
* Sundstrand Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid
* Vickers (Eaton) M-2950-S, I-286-S
* Volvo VME WB 101 (VCE 1273.03)
* ZF TE-ML 03E, 05F, 06D, 06E, 06K, 17E

PowerTran Fluid also meets API GL-4 performance requirements.

Just looking at this, I'd say any quality Universal Tractor Fluid will do you just fine. Without your manual calling out anything specific, this kind of universal fluid can be purchased most anywhere, from JD to Kubota's UDT, to WalMart and TSC.

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #7  
considering it is a farm trac, and the conco cover the ford specs AND agco specs.. should be good.

soundguy

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #8  
TSC Universal tractor (traveller brand) fluid is i think $34.99 on sale in 5 gallon pales thats cheaper than walmart and is good stuff that you can use. It was on sale this or last month, not sure but regular i think its $39 or $44, not sure which. They also sell Accell fluid in universal type or "303" type for around $35 or so for 5 gals. any of these will do you fine.

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #9  
x2 on the Powertran. Excellent product and backward compatible with other specs. Can scan you the tech sheets on it if you would like. FYI - the Ecoterra product is a biodegradable hydraulic typically used where contamination to surface water is an issue (golf courses, construction sites, etc)

/ Conoco Tractor Hydraulic Fluid #10  
I'm a lube oil jobber, and sell a couple brands of THF products, my main brand being Conoco. The Conoco Powertran Fluid III is a product made of Group II hydrotreated base oil, and has never gotten me one call back in 8 years now from an angry or disappointed customer that something was not working right. From the biggest JD tractors to small stuff like a Ford 8-N, Powertran is excellent. Mobil 424 Fluid is ditto likewise, never a complaint back to me, nor was there with Chevron product when I sold a lot of their THF. I guess I have to wonder, who puts the most in the pail?, Conoco and Mobil and Chevron, or does some buyer at Wally World really look out for my long range tractor life and performance? He only contracts for the highest quality available? I can well imagine that Wally buys an oil that meets spec when it's new oil, nothing too fancy, and sells it cheap. But if it works, so be it. At Peterbilt and Kenworth, they fill every engine with Chevron Delo, not some generic off brand oil that only "works". I guess I take that as reason to get the best I can find.

Last edited: