2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #1  

SGStriglos

Bronze Member
Tractor
B3200, M7040, ZD331
I own a small group of Echo lawn care prducts along with a Stihl saw and had a very short relationship with a 2 stroke outboard motor. Any reason why I can't use the gallon of marine oil I have left with with my existing engines and get away from buying the little Echo 1 use containers of oil?

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #2  
Does the oil meet the engine manufacturer's specifications? If not, could be a gamble.

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #3  
I'm not qualified or able to tell you the differences, but I do know that supposedly, the 2-cycle oil for water cooled engines is different than that for air cooled engines. Personally, I would not use the marine oil in my lawn care equipment. Of course, as with other things, "any oil is better than no oil."

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #4  
I recall reading an article years ago dealing with this subject. the opinion was not to do so as the flash points of the oil's in question were different. Outboards run in a different environment thus the oil is formulated for colder operating temps.

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #5  
I think there was a fairly recent thread on this topic. The consensus was that you would be penny-wise and pound-foolish -- the two oils have different formulations. The 2-cycle oil formulated for non-marine uses (leaf blowers, chainsaws, string trimmers, etc.) isn't very expensive. Why risk it?

Steve

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #6  
marine oil is for water cooled engines. Buy the correct oil for air cooled engies

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #7  
I expect you have recieved good advice from the previous posters. However I have been running Mercury quicksilver 2 cycle oil in all my chainsaws, weedeaters, and etc for about 15 years. Mercury must include some kind of stabil additive because my carry over from one year to the next seems to be ok and runs good. Recently loaned my Stihl pole saw to a friend and it set for about a month. Don't know what he was using, but had to dump the fuel and clean the carb for it to run. As far as the water cooled vs air cooled, I can't address that issue. I'm 68 yrs old and generally get hot before my machinery does. Even when younger I had no heating issues. I mix everything 50-1. I have a 1977 vintage homelite saw that called for 30-1 mix originally. It gets the 50-1 also. That saw should have been worn out when I started using the Mercury 50-1 mix in it.

I am only addressing the Mercury outboad 2 cycle oil. I have no experience with any other brand.

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #8  
So what about the non-liquid cooled 2 stroke outboards? I use to have one on a small duck boat. Not having to worry about water freezing in the late fall nor sucking up weeds and blocking the water intake engine was great. I no longer have it as like much in life everything gets bigger, bigger house, bigger boat, bigger me, lol. So now I have a Honda.

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas #9  
Any reason why I can't use the gallon of marine oil I have left with with my existing engines and get away from buying the little Echo 1 use containers of oil?

You could use it but it may shorten the life of the engines you intend to use it in. :)

/ 2 Cycle Oil mixed with gas
Guys....Thank you, once again I allways get a straight answer from this group. In a pinch I will use it but otherwise I have learned it is not just marketing hype.