Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline?

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
I would like to buy a 50-75 gallon transfer tank and pump to use for both gas and diesel. Let me be clear.... not at the same time!! :) I have a small storage tank that is split, one half for gas and a half for diesel.... 75 gallons each. I would like to be able to fill it from fuel bought at a local station, as I have a thing about delivery drivers coming out to my house (like from the co-op) and want to buy non-ethanol gas. So I would like to go to the station, get 75 gallons of diesel and bring it home and transfer it to the storage tank. Then go get 75 gallons of gas and put it in the other side.

So, my question is, is there anything wrong with using the same transfer tank for both if I get "most" of the previous liquid out? Does it hurt to have a trace of gas in diesel, or vice versa?

Thanks for you time,

Josh

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #2  
some will say yes but my thoughts are no, What is .25 gallons of gas in 50 gallons of diesel going to matter, this is the only thing i would worry about, a gas engine will burn the deisel mix of a same ratio with gas no problem, kind of like a little 2 stroke mix but lighter. Gas engines in my opinion except for new ones like mercedees or a fine import will burn about anything, not good for long periods but i would dump a gallon of a deisel into 25 gallons of gas and not think anything about burning it.

I dont like more folks than necessisary showing up at my house either, i dont want to sell anything from my house and will always meet. I dont want strangers eyeing my stuff.

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #3  
some will say yes but my thoughts are no, What is .25 gallons of gas in 50 gallons of diesel going to matter, this is the only thing i would worry about, a gas engine will burn the deisel mix of a same ratio with gas no problem, kind of like a little 2 stroke mix but lighter. Gas engines in my opinion except for new ones like mercedees or a fine import will burn about anything, not good for long periods but i would dump a gallon of a deisel into 25 gallons of gas and not think anything about burning it

Exactly well said i have a 100 gal slip tank that i fill up daily with diesel for my track hoe and d-6 dozer once in a while i will fill it up with gas for at home and never had any problems any one who thinks you will have trouble is over paranoid just make sure you pump most of it out when switching fuels good luck:D

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #4  
You are allowed to have Rodent Droppings in your hamburger and sausage. So what is wrong with having a little gas in the Diesel?:confused:

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #5  
No problem mixing small quantities. As a matter of fact last year in WV we had to put a small amount of gas in Diesel to get a 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins to run in 0F temps. It would start but cut-off until we added some unleaded. This year it gets Diesel additives instead...

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline?
Thanks guys. I will certainly get "most" of the previous fuel out, but wanted to make sure it wasn't a huge no no.

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #7  
I actually run a small amount of 2 cycle oil ON PURPOSE in most of my 4 cycle gasoline engines...yes, even my cars. I can't imagine diesel being any different, if anything, probably just slightly beneficial.

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #8  
No problem at all, just don't forget what is in there at the time you are using it.

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #9  
Interesting question...haven't seen it before on TBN..... will watch additional answers with interest. I would have thought it a no-no. My only experience is with a 250 gallon tank that was supposed to be filled with gasoline for my gas tractor (at the time). The delivery fellow started putting diesel in it, then realized his mistake, removed diesel and filled with gas.

Tractor ran very bad, fouled carb and plugs... real mess.... had to take it to dealer...now, maybe it was going to happen anyway, but I attributed it to the small amount of diesel in the gas.

/ Same transfer tank for Diesel and Gasoline? #10  
I'd worry about having some diesel in gasoline going to cars/trucks with cat converter, etc. If to a tractor with no controls, don't think I'd be concerned.

For small amounts of gasoline in diesel, there's a safety issue. Diesel fuel isn't combustible. You have to have a wick to light it off. Put gasoline in it, and you have a combustible vapor space.

I'd keep them separate.

Ralph