Changing hydraulic fluid...

/ Changing hydraulic fluid... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
I'm considering changing the hydraulic fluid in my JD4100 HST. JD recommends changing the fluid at 500 hrs. My hour meter is at 197.5. I figured that I need to change the engine oil so why not change the hydraulic fluid and the filters as well. The fluid looks clean, the tractor performs well, etc., etc,.....

The question is, should I change the fluid or just wait until the 500 hours as JD suggests.

Terry

/ Changing hydraulic fluid... #2  
Terry,

In my opinion it is not necessary. The engineers at JD do extensive research before they recommend maint. intervals.

However, it if it makes you feel better, go for it. It is your money. Remember the hyd oil & filters aren't cheap. They are cheap relative to a new tranny though.

This is debated all the time, but there is a little more than meet the eye to the "change it early, it's cheap insurance" line of thinking.

Here is my theory, most who even consider changing the oil at shorter intervals than the manufacturer recommmends are more in touch with what I call their "inner engine". They routinely check the engine over: oil level, clean filter , coolant level, etc. etc. etc. It is my observation that taking care of the basics does far more for the health of your engine than changing the oil early.

So the lesson, be sure you are in touch with your "inner engine" and change the oil at the recommended intervals.

/ Changing hydraulic fluid... #3  
I changed early on my Deere 4300 ('99) because of the reported information about factory machining filings picked up and held in the filter. I was glad I did, as there were some in the filter (although not to the point of blocking all of the screen). There is about 7 gallons of oil (maybe less in yours) that is the biggest headache when changing.

I understand that the newer tractors get a better pre-fabricate flush of the castings and gears than they were originally getting. But regardless, there will be some filings caught by the filters.

/ Changing hydraulic fluid... #4  
On the JD Compact tractor site there is a service notice which increases the hydraulic fluid change frequency for HST models 4200 and up. Not sure why 4100 HST is excluded but the new interval is 50 hrs - oil & filter
200 hrs - filter
400 hrs - oil & filter
This is the schedule I am now using for my 4400. Hope this helps.