Old oil trick

/ Old oil trick #21  
that's steam.. not smoke :)

a steamy engine is quite a different ordeal than an oil pumper or a rich burner..

soundguy

/ Old oil trick #22  
I'd add a can of mmo to the oil and gas before I switched to synthetic in an N.. :)

soundguy

My opinion, he needs 30 wt. I use to use straight 30 in my old ferguson

/ Old oil trick #23  
but you might want to consider trying something like Auto-RX to clean out the ring lands.
That garbage is the DEFINITION of snake oil. It is completely useless, at $25+/bottle. Don't even think about it.

(the manufacturer/inventor who makes that stuff in his garage recently got thrown off a major lubrication forum for about 10 different reasons, most of them being his product is crap...they also stopped allowing him to advertise there)

/ Old oil trick #24  
That garbage is the DEFINITION of snake oil. It is completely useless, at $25+/bottle. Don't even think about it.

(the manufacturer/inventor who makes that stuff in his garage recently got thrown off a major lubrication forum for about 10 different reasons, most of them being his product is crap...they also stopped allowing him to advertise there)

That's very interesting. I've never used it myself but I have heard many, many folks say they were very happy with the results. I wonder what has changed? I'll have to look into it.

DEWFPO

/ Old oil trick #25  
I just went to the BobIsTheOilGuy's website and can't find anything consistent with what you are saying about Auto-RX. Maybe I'm not as good at searching as you perhaps. Is it another website that your talking about? Are you sure it's Auto-RX?

DEWFPO

/ Old oil trick #26  
I've never used it myself but I have heard many, many folks say they were very happy with the results.
It's called the placebo effect. Like how cars go faster after you wash them. ;) That's why it comes with such long and complicated instructions - to confuse the user, make them think it's something important, and tell them it's a "slow" process. What a load of ****.

Furthermore, Frank, the seller, pays people to go around to forums and post fake positive results. Nothing you read about it on the internet can be trusted. If his product was so amazing, it would be sold at every auto parts store across the country, like Marvel Mystery Oil, or Seafoam. Nobody want's to sell Frank's product because it doesn't work. If it really worked as well as he says it does than a giant corporation like Chevron would have bought him out or copied him by now.

The reason he was banned from BITOG is mostly because he would attack anyone that ever questioned the product, or if somebody posted "it doesn't work", he would attack them and say they used it wrong. The former owner of BITOG, before his death, knowingly allowed this and banned anybody that tried to get in his way, Auto-RX was paying off BITOG.

Seriously, he makes it in his garage and there is NO independent proof of it working. The pictures on his website prove nothing and only further reinforce the fact that he has nothing good to take a picture of.

That said, soaking the rings in a fairly priced cleaner like marvel mystery oil or even plain old ATF, could possibly help, but it's a long shot.

/ Old oil trick #27  
Surely this guys concoction was at least as good as plain old ATF ? Kerosene would soften oil and carbon deposits in the ring lands , surely any old Hydrocarbons he through together in his shed would work . Why do you say it does not work ?

/ Old oil trick #28  
Yeah,I believe theres something to that,that was my reason to go with 10w30 in my toyota anyways[it calls for a lighter oil,5w30 maybe,but started using 10w30 at about 90,000 miles,that was many miles ago.

40 weight in winter might be on thick side though...

/ Old oil trick #29  
Surely this guys concoction was at least as good as plain old ATF ?
Probably, but ATF is $3/quart and Auto-RX is somewhere around $26 + shipping for 12oz. I imagine the price is going up as sales are going down.

Auto-RX does have SOME cleaning properties, but it isn't any better than much cheaper stuff you can buy locally. I'd say it will provide about the same cleaning effect as switching to synthetic oil might.

Specifically if you want to do a ring soak, Auto-RX is not the right product, because it's "heat activated", and you want something you can just pour in and let soak overnight. (cold)

/ Old oil trick #30  
You need to get some lead replacer to put in the gas. We have to do that on our 8N and Oliver 550, as well as some older two ton trucks. That 8N was made for leaded gas, and it will run a lot better with that lead replacer in it.