Problems with no ethanol gas

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I've been using no ethanol gas from a local Exxon station for a few years now in all my power equipment.
Recently I've had two issues come up-
First, my backup gasoline generator at my camp wouldn't start. Pulled the carb off and was horrified at the amount of crusty chunks of some black substance in the carb. Cleaned it all up and got it running. BTW this generator is test run about once a month and has Stabil treated gas which is swapped out every 6 months or so.

Yesterday I went to fire up the Onan 4kW gas generator in my toy hauler RV.
Wouldn't start. This generator is also run monthly. Troubleshooting revealed the electric fuel pump wasn't pumping, could hear it buzz but no flow. Huge PITA to remove the generator from the RV to get inside it to get to the fuel pump. Playing with it I got the pump working by filling it with aerosol carb cleaner and letting it sit a few minutes. Nothing came out of the fuel filter Onan has on the input to the fuel pump when back flushing it with carb cleaner.
Inspection of the tank revealed more of this black crud found in problem one above, encrusting the fuel pickup tube. I think this crud had shellaced the fuel pump plunger into place. The fuel pickup is one I made of copper tubing when the original plastic one fell off a few years ago. No junk was visible in the tank, which is a 10 gallon or so plastic boat tank on the tongue of the trailer behind the LP tanks. This generator also is test run about once a month and has Stabil treated gas which is swapped out every 6 months or so.

So- I'm wondering if the ethanol free fuel has enough, or any, of the cleaners that are present in the ethanol "enriched" fuel.....
I think I'm going to start buying my ethanol free fuel at a different station to see if this happens again...but it may be likely it all comes out of the same source at the tank farm near North Augusta SC, regardless of the brand. It is highly unlikely the fuel in both gensets came from the same purchase but it is possible and maybe it was simply bad gas. The Exxon I've been buying it at is right at the Lake Murray dam and they move a huge amount of this ethanol free gas to the boaters.

Curious if anyone else has experienced similar problems. Lets not get into a debate here about ethanol politics, already got that going in other threads:thumbsup:

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #2  
Interesting situations.
I'd be suspect of the Stabil addative too.
And I think for generators, I'd try to get a way to connect a fresh gas supply to them when they need to run.

I've long thought, that just a crank-up and start once in a while, really can't do much to keep a carb clean. But that is likely just my feeling on it. But changing fuel suppliers (you are fortunate to have some choices as some states have gone 100% ethanol enhanced fuel supply). We are getting it shoved down our throats.

/ Problems with no ethanol gas
By running occasionally I think it does keep the carb from "gunking up" due to evaporated fuel. IOW if not run the fuel dries out in the float bowls due to being vented to the atmosphere, leaving behind gunk or "varnish". A run flushes this out with the new, non evaporated gas containing the lighter/volatile components.
Just found the black gunk odd, never found black stuff ever in fuel or fuel residue no matter how old, brown maybe but not black:confused:

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #4  
Around here the non ethanol gas is getting very hard to come by. The last few places have sucked their tanks dry and I wonder how many other places are doing the same and at the same time are sucking up what ever sediment is in their tanks.

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #5  
There have been a couple of posts lately about ethanol vs. Not. Frankly I was surprised I can't even remember the last time I saw non-ethanol gas around here. It's mandated by state law so there's no choice. Personally I've never noticed a difference with either. :)7

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #6  
Whhhaaattt? I think I heard that only happens with ethanol.:laughing:

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #7  
The only problem I've ever had with non-ethanol gasoline is finding some...

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #8  
I don't use Stabil anymore. Can't be positive but I think it causes starting problems. If I have to leave a machine out for the winter I shut off the pet cock and run it till it stops.

Rob

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #9  
Rob-D said:
I don't use Stabil anymore. Can't be positive but I think it causes starting problems. If I have to leave a machine out for the winter I shut off the pet cock and run it till it stops.

Rob

That is what I do too. If there is no fuel left in the carb there is no risk of evaporation and remaining solids to clog jets.

/ Problems with no ethanol gas #10  
I've found dry carburators/fuel pumps to be more trouble than those left with Sta-bilized fuel; never had a problem with Sta-Bil and have used it for years. I e-mailed the company(?) when we first had to deal with ethanol "enriched" fuel. Received an answer from the vice-president advising the use of regular red Sta-Bil unless in a marine enviroment. I've got a bunch of small engined equipment; 3 chain saws, back-pack blower, self-propelled lawn mower, JD lawn tractor, DR lawn/leaf vacuum, Craftsman push lawn vacuum, DR Field&Brush mower, 6500 watt generator(Honda powered),a Craftsman 8HP snow-blower, and a 4-stroke Yamaha snowmobile. Use red Sta-Bil in them all; some stored for 6/7 months and have not a fuel problem(starting and running) with any of them. Oh ya, also use it in my Kawasaki Mule :eek:

Last edited: