Inside a Japanese oil filter

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #1  

MrChris

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215HST
It was time for the annual oil change on my Mahindra (Mitsubishi) 3215 tractor, so I decided to cut open my used Denso oil filter. Was suprised by what I found. The filter material is best described as compressed felt formed in 12 large pleats. It was saturated with oil, like a sponge,firm and brittle. I could easily break pieces off. There are no top or bottom caps like American made filters either. Interesting stuff. I've never seen a filter like this. Wondering what you all thought?

Attachments

• Denso filter1.JPG
    Denso filter1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Denso filter2.JPG
    Denso filter2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Denso filter3.JPG
    Denso filter3.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Denso filter4.JPG
    Denso filter4.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 272
   / Inside a Japanese oil filter #2  
I risk getting all kinds of flack, but to me it shows the whole "you must use OEM oil filters" to be mostly bunk. Give me a known good commodity like a Hastings/Baldwin/Purolator any day, everyday.

Who knows? Maybe that filter is the cat's meow. Shrug.

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #3  
I thought you were going to say that you found a fortune cookie-----No that would be Chinese!!

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #4  
Wondering what you all thought?

Doesn't matter what we think, send it to one of the "oil filter comparison" website authors. Despite the fact that it has a different type of filter media than they're used to seeing, (and despite the fact that different medias perform differently), they'll still evaluate it in the same manner.

They'll spread it out on the kitchen table, and then measure it's surface area with a tape measure.

Theories and conclusions will be plentiful, hard data from testing will be conspicuously absent.

:D

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #5  
It was time for the annual oil change on my Mahindra (Mitsubishi) 3215 tractor, so I decided to cut open my used Denso oil filter. Was suprised by what I found. The filter material is best described as compressed felt formed in 12 large pleats. It was saturated with oil, like a sponge,firm and brittle. I could easily break pieces off. There are no top or bottom caps like American made filters either. Interesting stuff. I've never seen a filter like this. Wondering what you all thought?
There's two versions i believe of the denso(havent seen many) filters some are made in Thailand(US Version,traditional media) and the Japan Made(one you have) but pricy??

the one you have is actually a good filter with silicon ADBV, deep unique pleats capable of long OCI with a rating of IIRC...Nominal of 20um+/- @50-60% so it's above average.

how much did you pay for this filter if i may ask???

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #6  
Looks like the filters we used to get for our fuel oil powered furnace.

Aaron Z

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter
There's two versions i believe of the denso(havent seen many) filters some are made in Thailand(US Version,traditional media) and the Japan Made(one you have) but pricy??

the one you have is actually a good filter with silicon ADBV, deep unique pleats capable of long OCI with a rating of IIRC...Nominal of 20um+/- @50-60% so it's above average.

how much did you pay for this filter if i may ask???

$22 through the tractor dealer.

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #8  
My new Official Kubota oil filter is from indonesia. I will cut it after I use it and see what and how well it was made. I can buy Bosch and might go back to it. I have cut several open and they were well made. The worst, Ac delco, had holes thru the paper media.These results were on cars and trucks I have driven. Toyota made a great oil filter for years. JY.

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #9  
$22 through the tractor dealer.
Yea that's what i thought good filters but not Worth $22, you could cross that over and get the same performance or better.

for less...

/ Inside a Japanese oil filter #10  
Toyota made a great oil filter for years. .

I'd be willing to bet a beer Toyota never made an oil filter...may have had their name on it, but they didn't make it:drink: