Kubotas web site answer section

/ Kubotas web site answer section #1  

brucew44guns

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 630
We have discussed what oil is appropriate for new Kubota Mowers, and some questions as to all this oil spec business seemed left unanswewred, at least to me.
I have a brand new ZD331-LP mower, 5 hours on it now. Itgives viscosity ranges in the owners manual, but does state not to use a CJ-4 spec oil. So I finally wrote Kubota myself, and challenged this. I asked them "Why would Kubota prohibit the use of the latest generation spec oil for diesels in their machines? The 2007 and newer diesels in all cases I know of require the use of a CJ-4 oil, why is Kubota forbidding this use"

The answer I gpot back, was---"use an oil with an API rating"

This answer is not pertaining to my question, or what their own manual says. So I replied back on that e-mail answer, that they must have misunderstood my question. I re-sated that I wanted to use either Chevron Delo, or Mobil Delvac in 10W/30, API CJ-4 API spec product. For my ambient temps, I reminded them that they allowed in the manual--- 10W/30 to be used. They wrote back again that my question would be sent higher up the engineering chain to those who could answer my question.

This does not settle in my mind at all, that I want a Kubota tractor next year. Is this question so hard? They say no CJ-4. I just want to know why?

/ Kubotas web site answer section #2  
I do too. Their SPECIFIC exclusion to CJ-4 is very puzzling. It makes no sense to me at all.

/ Kubotas web site answer section #3  
This may have something to do with it.

From this site:

CJ-4 Service Category Description

8. Can API CJ-4 oils be used in off-highway applications?
API CJ-4 oils can be used in off-highway applications. However, the use of API CJ-4 oils with higher sulfur fuels, like those generally provided for off-highway use that may contain up to 5,000 ppm sulfur, may result in revised oil drain intervals and other maintenance recommendations. As non-road fuel sulfur levels are reduced, first to 500 ppm in June 2007 and then to 15 ppm in June 2010, manufacturer recommendations may be revised.