What about kerosene?

/ What about kerosene? #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
I run a JD4300 with about 4000hrs on it. My 100 gallon diesel tank is about 1/2 full and I've got 45 gallons of second hand kero that had been purchased for kero heaters.
Diesel (dyed) sells for about $3.80/gallon delivered around here (and new kero would be twice that) so I'm wondering if I can/should mix the kero with my diesel to use it up. I have no other use for it and haven't found a buyer in the past few months.

/ What about kerosene? #2  
It would be ok to mix the two together and use them. Throw in some fuel condtioner and go.

/ What about kerosene? #3  
You can mix kero and diesel. I've been running a 50/50 mix in my tractor in winter for years. Mixing will help prevent from fuel gelling in cold temps. Depending on your tractor you may have to add a cetane booster additive to a diesel/kero mix. I use Power Service additive with the mix and switch back to straight diesel in spring.

/ What about kerosene? #4  
I never heard of running a kerosene mix. My tractor reads: "use only low sulfur or ultra low sulfur diesel only".

/ What about kerosene? #5  
By the time you get to be our age you will discover a lot of things you have never heard of. LOL Your tractor is a lot newer than most of us have. zman:laughing:

/ What about kerosene? #6  
Kero will burn a little hotter but I have run 50/50 even in the summer with out no problems. But that was before they went to low sulfur. An oil dealer told me they add a lubricant to tractor fuel to compensate for the low sulfur, the Kero may not have it.

/ What about kerosene? #7  
Mixing kerosene (very close to diesel #1) and Diesel #2 is perfectly fine and recommended during winter months. Kerosene has a lower gel point and burns a bit cleaner. I too would add some sort of conditioner to add some lubricity to the mix as kero tends to be lacking in that department as its mainly used for heating, it doesnt hurt.

/ What about kerosene?
When I was a boy I remember tractors that burnt WOOD.....