Chainsaw Bar Oil ??

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #11  
I've never tired it, and not saying I wont. I use the stuff they sell at TSC, its $8.99 and works for me

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #12  
There was a whole other thread on this exact same subject last month. I didn't do the search on the site here to find it. Bar oil tends to be more tacky like syrup. I don't use old motor oil just because I need to keep the bar guides clean as possible. They get gummed up enough with sawdust as well as the roller tip. Old oil gets sent to be refined for the Golden Arches french fries in my area.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #13  
Bar oil is formulated to be tacky and cling. I have used new motor oil mixed with Stp oil treatment. I prefer to just buy bar oil, Using burned or dirty oil just does not add up to me..yes, I file my own chains most of the time. No, I don't buy Stihl bar oil it is expensive here, I use Tsc.Jy.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #14  
I have used old oil, then old oil mixed 50/50 with bar oil, now just bar oil. I never had an issue with old engine oil {made sure it was clean, no gunk metal pieces etc...} I now use bar oil because there are folks that will take the old engine oil for their shop heaters, just figure that's probably better.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ??
There was a whole other thread on this exact same subject last month. I didn't do the search on the site here to find it. Bar oil tends to be more tacky like syrup. I don't use old motor oil just because I need to keep the bar guides clean as possible. They get gummed up enough with sawdust as well as the roller tip. Old oil gets sent to be refined for the Golden Arches french fries in my area.

I searched it before I posted and didnt find that one ... anyway. Thought it was interesting.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #16  
Man I buy the cheapest bar oil I can find normally its pullon red or some house brand on sale @ Orchelns for $5-6 a gallon normal price is less than 10 bucks anyway.

I highly doubt there is $25 worth of difference in Stihl or JD or Husky oil vs el cheapo tractor store branded oil something is probably better about it but what???

I cant imagine me ever falling for it Ive been slingin that cheap stuff all over the woods for many moons with no problems to report as of now. :)

With that said I used to use old engine oil etc its just too thin you need to service the oiler before the fuel and it should be at the same time is what I don't like about that.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #17  

Bar oil is formulated to be tacky and cling. I have used new motor oil mixed with Stp oil treatment. I prefer to just buy bar oil, Using burned or dirty oil just does not add up to me..yes, I file my own chains most of the time. No, I don't buy Stihl bar oil it is expensive here, I use Tsc.Jy.

I agree. Although my saw is a Stihl, I don't buy their bar/chain oil.... but I do buy actual bar/chain oil. It is tacky do it does not fling off the chain. At my local Stihl dealer, they have Stihl oil and some other lesser known brand bar/chain oil. The price difference is huge.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #18  
I stopped paying thru the nose for bar oil this year after talking to 2 guys that cut wood for a living and run used motor oil in all their saws with no issues. Been running used 5-20 from my Ford truck in my stihl.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #19  
Would you use 90# gear oil in your engine? It would work but not to the same level as the correct oil will. For a few bucks I'll stick with an oil that will lubricate the chain and not fly off. Secondly I'm not sure how it will effect your pump. It's designed to pump a thinker oil to match fuel consumption. I know my Husky has a 3 level adjustment for oil flow but would the lowest level still mean I would run out of oil before I need to gas up?

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #20  
I'm a used oil guy but I don't cut that much wood but seem to be using it more than I want the past few years. And I have never had a problem with the old thin stuff it does require a more frequent fill up but I need a break by then anyhow.