Chainsaw Bar Oil ??

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Stopped at my neighbors and told him I was heading in to buy some parts and also needed bar oil for the chainsaw ... he stated "Thought you just dumped the oil in those tractors and the truck? Use it ... I use nothing but used motor oil in all of my chainsaws and have for years"

What about that?

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #2  
Well a person certainly can do that; however, if they care about the long term life and health of their equipment it is not the best idea. Dirty oil, potential for clogged oil ports resulting in overheated chains and bars raising chance of chain breakage and severe injury, etc. Also some not all of the chain oil now is much more environmentally friendly since all of the bar oil used ends up in the forest.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #4  
I have heard that Stihl formulates their oil to work with their bars, but I just paid $37.99 for a gallon at the local JD dealer.:(

I am not sure if this the price everwhere, but they are the most convenient dealer.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ??
I have heard that Stihl formulates their oil to work with their bars, but I just paid $37.99 for a gallon at the local JD dealer.:(

I am not sure if this the price everwhere, but they are the most convenient dealer.

Glad my truck don't run on Stihl bar oil ....

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ??

BTW ... 1 gallon of Stihl bar oil in Oklahoma ... $13.99 (tax free) for farm use.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #8  
$8.99 /gallon Stihl Bar oil in Oregon (no tax)

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #9  
I have never bought bar oil in my life. If you use good oil and change it when you should, can't think bar oil is any better. I never had any trouble with bars lasting a long time. I don't buy chains, get them used from friends in the timber business. Some timber cutters will only file a chain a few times then put on a new one. I can piece together chains to fit whatever saw and cut with them until I start losing teeth. Seems like the more their wore out, the better they cut! :confused2:

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil ?? #10  
I use TrueSouth bar and chain oil in both my stihl and my poland and it works great for me and yes i have used just reg motor oil in a pinch but only when i had to.