What do you do with used oil filters?

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #11  
I remove the gasket, toss them into my waste paper when I burn and pull them out later to go with mixed scrap. Not the best solution but better than throwing them in the trash with oil residue in them IMHO.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #12  
I remove the gasket, toss them into my waste paper when I burn and pull them out later to go with mixed scrap. Not the best solution but better than throwing them in the trash with oil residue in them IMHO.

Similar I toss the gasket, let the oil drain in to my waste oil drum, then burn
out the filter and glue in the burn pile the remaining steel goes to the scrap
yard with the other scrap.

My used oil goes to my local implement dealer as they have a waste oil
burner for their shop.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #13  
I just leave the spin on filters face down in a funnel so they drain for a few days. The local transfer station takes the old oil for free (since burning it is a no no) but they just toss the filters into the regular trash. Things like paper diesel filters I burn since they only have fuel in them. The few spin on fuel filters/ water separators I have I treat just like used oil filters.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #14  
Throw them in the trash can after the oil drains out of them on my gravel drive:laughing:

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #15  
It is unlawful in N.C to throw them in the trash.

I keep them, well drained. Then when I get several, I open them and remove the paper, which I burn, and recycle the scrap metal.

Do any of you have one of those can openers that cuts the side of the can instead of the top of the can? Would you mind seeing if those will open a spin-on oil filter?

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #16  
Check with your local Auto Zone. They should take the filters along with the oil that you are dropping off.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #17  
Well theres laws and than theres laws:laughing: You ever hear of anyone getting in trouble for throwing one oil filter out in trash that has 3-4 bags?

Many of the laws we have now,only apply if you get caught:D

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #18  
Well theres laws and than theres laws:laughing: You ever hear of anyone getting in trouble for throwing one oil filter out in trash that has 3-4 bags?

Many of the laws we have now,only apply if you get caught:D

Don't all laws only apply if you get caught? Not getting caught doesn't make it right though. ;) I don't think that I would want to be in trouble with the EPA either. :eek:

/ What do you do with used oil filters?
I really do not know the answer. I just know the 75 or more I put in the land fills each year can not be good. Burning them is probably no worse. Its either the air or the ground water????? Just seems there should be a place that would take them and properly dispose of them.

Now that I think of it I have 2 friends in the oil business. One has a Pennzoil type Jiffy Lube place and the other is a large oil distributor that sells to shop, farmers, miners, ect. I will have to check with them.

Chris

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #20  
Just wondering, are any of the land fills lined in any of your areas, or does the trash just get dumped on the ground and then covered up?