What do you do with used oil filters?

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #31  
Well theres laws and than theres laws:laughing: You ever hear of anyone getting in trouble for throwing one oil filter out in trash that has 3-4 bags?

Many of the laws we have now,only apply if you get caught:D

Isn't that true of all laws??
Rick

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #32  
Ya a crusher at a Service shop: or if you go through a lot of big ones, you can make a sweet allen block type wall.....what could ya use for the top caps though????:confused2:

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #33  
zmoz that is good to know. Without doubt in my mind millions gallons of used motor oil and millions of pounds of lead go the dumps each year so every layer of protection is good if it works as you state.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm sure they design them knowing some stuff is going to get in that shouldn't, no matter what. At the local landfill they actually feed the "leachate" (garbage juice) to quick growing poplar trees, which quickly soak up the dirty water and then they cut them down to make paper!

I believe they stopped open landfill dumping in 1986, which actually seems too late. The "old" landfill in town used to be a rock quarry, and in the 80s, filling the hole back in with garbage (and no liner) was a perfectly acceptable land reclamation practice!
(The conversation went something like this: "Hey bob, what should we do with this big hole we dug by the river that we all drink out of? I know, let's fill it with leaky garbage! Good idea!")

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #34  
Me and my dad haul junked vehicles to a salvage yard. We usually put ours in a metal trash can and when we get ready to haul in the old vehicle. We just toss them in there.

There part of a vehicle, tractor, etc. So why not? At least it gets recycled.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #35  
i use to work at my father in laws shop in the summer or when i needed to do work on my truck. He had a pneumatic filter crusher that sat on a barrel. It crushed them down to push out all the old oil. There was a door on that thing to close, u use to crush mine and all the others that the mechanics would just put on the top of the barrel casue they were to lazy to crush them. I got confident and lazy and quit shutting the door, that is till one ruptured and split down the side of the case and sprayed me with used oil, it misted me in fine oil and drops, i was coverd from head to waist from standing by it all oily.

Anyway back to the thread. I save all my oil in 5 gallon buckets and then take it to the recyle/dump place (we have collection centers in every county here in SC, several per county) they also take filters and will take your empty bottles to hang on the drain rack.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #36  
I really do not know the answer. I just know the 75 or more I put in the land fills each year can not be good. Burning them is probably no worse. Its either the air or the ground water????? Just seems there should be a place that would take them and properly dispose of them.

Now that I think of it I have 2 friends in the oil business. One has a Pennzoil type Jiffy Lube place and the other is a large oil distributor that sells to shop, farmers, miners, ect. I will have to check with them.

Chris

i thought all landfill s have liners, so it whould not get into water, in a perfect world. That is not the case for the ones you threw out 25 years ago though.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #37  
I pour my old gas over the hill too,it came from the ground so,,,:D,,now,not saying if,,they was a sign somewheres or a add in newspaper,that said,,if you got old gas or old oil filters come down and throw it here,,that I wouldn't do that,I just might,,but theres not.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #38  
I toss mine in the trash...The trash is sold per lb and then BURNED...I am saving someone money!!!

The OP should worry more about the lead found in reusable grocery bags too.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #39  
In reality...used oil and filters is hazardous waste. But the govt and EPA classifies it as a universal waste. That's because there is so much of it and so many people changing their own oil that there would be no way for them to enforce the hazardous waste regs and costs on all us little users. I think as time goes by that will change. All our landfills are full of all sorts of hazardous waste, (which is legal for now), but I think they will come back to haunt us in the future.

I think most of this used oil is burned as a fuel and not truly recycled as you may think. I guess it still costs too much to re-refine it.

/ What do you do with used oil filters?
One thing I have noticed is the change in filters. For example both of my Ford diesels use filers that are just the element, no metal case. Thats for oil, tranny, and fuel. The new boat I am trying to work a deal on has Volvo engines and they do the same. Many Ford vehicles have been this way for some time and so has Mazda. This makes since because they all were or still are owned by Ford. The buzz word around here is Carbon Footprint. Making filters this way allows the engine manufactures to limit this.

I have also heard that newer GM stuff stating with Saturns have gone to this type of filter along with some of the other imports.

Chris