What to do with used anti-freeze?

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
How does everyone safely dispose used antifreeze? Are there any chains that collect it for recycle? I heard one way with small quantities was to dump it in the toilet if served by a municiple sewage system. Would that mess up some chemical balance?

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #2  
You might want to try your county's waste handling facility (facilities). The waste transfer facility I use in NC accepts used oil and antifreeze.

Steve

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #3  
Bottle it and sell on ebay or craigslist as a cure for exwives/husbands:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously, don't put it down the toilet. Our landfill recycles it and some auto parts stores do too. Look around and you can find someplace to take it free or cheap.
Rick

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #4  
Get a GOOD bonfire going and chuck it in. It's flammable if you evaporate the water fast enough. :D

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #5  
Check with the local county municipalities. Our local one accepts used anti-freeze for recycling.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #6  
My local garage accepts used oil and anti-freeze. They have a quick-lube bay and have a tank outside for the oil and 55 gal. barrels for the anti-freeze. The nice part is that I could dump either at my convenience.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #8  
If its fairly clean most marinas will take it to winterize (pickle) engines for the winter.

Chris

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #9  
Most lube shops that recycle oil will take antifreeze as well. In fact, many of the environmental waste outfits that pick up the recycle oil pump the recycle antifreeze into the same tank.

Or you could just feed it to my dog like someone did last Feb. :mad:

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #10  
If its fairly clean most marinas will take it to winterize (pickle) engines for the winter.

Chris

While this may be true, it is a very poor solution from an environmental point of view. When the engines get started in the spring the antifreeze goes straight into the water. Marinas around here use the pink anti toxic plumbing type AFAIK.

If going that route, the OP might as well dump it down the drain in the first place and save a trip to the marina.:(