Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol)

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #1  

DaveOmak

Platinum Member
Tractor
'53 Jubilee
I have water in E10 gasoline.
It appears to have formed an emulsion in the bottom 25% of the can.
It is really tough to decant as the alcohol/water mix is about the same density as the gasoline.
I have left it in the barn where the water would have normally froze but the alcohol won't let the water freeze.

Who has had this problem with E10?
What have you done?
$3.35 / gal makes me want to solve this problem.

Any experienced help would be appreciated.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #2  
Keeping containers full and closed tight to prevent them from drawing in humidity is one option. I don't know how much fuel you are talking about, and one hates to be wasteful, but I would be reluctant to try to pour that into my equipement knowing that it holds some water. Its going to be tough to separate the water from the useful fuel. Hard to dispoose of too. Around here if you just leave the container out the meth-heads will be more than happy to take it off your hands.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #3  
You have what is called phase separation. When E-10 picks up water in any signifficant quantity, the water pulls the ethanol out of the gas. that is what you are seeing on the bottom-a combination of the 10%ethanol and water. The ethanol is the oxygenate so what you have left above that water ethanol blend would no longer be a "legal" gasoline.

If you are ever fueling your vehicle and the pumps are running very slowly, bad sign! The stations pumps have filters and they are starting to clog because the location has water and phase separation is occurring.

Bottom line, You can pour off the "gas" into a container and gradually blend it off with fresh gas. As for the stuff in the bottom-it is NG-

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #4  
Dave, rather than trying to decant the top layer, how about siphoning the top off. Then you can minimize the disturbance of the water on the bottom. Just a thought...

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #5  
I dont know about it not being legal gasoline, it was legal before they infused 10% alcohol into it so it should now be pure gasoline. I think I would try to insert a small suction hose into the bottom of the container and remove the sludge from the bottom rather than pour off the top. Pump a little more out after you think you have all the separation out. Then pour the remainder into a clear container and let it set some more to see if it settles out more. If it looks like you have all the water out, then if MAY be ok to use if you can pass it thru a water separator fuel filter the you should be ok to use it..

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #6  
You might use the sludge for brush pile burning if it is flammable.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #7  
I dont know about it not being legal gasoline, it was legal before they infused 10% alcohol into it so it should now be pure gasoline.

The legal part may only come into play in Calfornia, not sure. BUT-
the ethanol is used as an octane booster also, so if the alcohol is separated out then the remaining gas is lower octane. May or may not be a problem.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #8  
I have water in E10 gasoline.
It appears to have formed an emulsion in the bottom 25% of the can.
It is really tough to decant as the alcohol/water mix is about the same density as the gasoline.
I have left it in the barn where the water would have normally froze but the alcohol won't let the water freeze.

Who has had this problem with E10?
What have you done?
$3.35 / gal makes me want to solve this problem.

Any experienced help would be appreciated.

Add 2 ounces of Seafoam per gallon, mix it thorougly, and a bit more and it will be fine after that.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #9  
Guys-to clarify what I said about it being "legal", I should have been more specific. In certain parts of the country-like here in most of the Northeast, gasoline is blended at the terminal level with 10% ethanol and 90% R-bob, (Regular), or 10% ethanol and 90% P-bob-(premium). If that is the case, and the ethanol drops out, the gas is not legal by EPA standards. In other parts of the country, the 10% ethanol is strictly used as an ".extender", and the gas that is above the phase separated product is legal. Its a complicated issue and it varies by region. Sorry if I confused things?

The whole ethanol question is a big question as to its true cost effectiveness. IMO, until they start producing ethanol from true waste products, it is a misuse of a valuable commodity-corn.

Seafoam???? Like to here more about that-44 years in the oil industry and I never heard of it.

/ Water in Gasoline (10% Ethanol) #10  
Look it up, great stuff:thumbsup: