Is my block heater working?

/ Is my block heater working? #1  

fluffhead31

Tractor
NH TC35A w/ 16LA FEL
I live in Vermont and use the tractor (NH-TC35) on cold days to move snow (not that we have any snow now which is why i'm on the computer and not the tractor:confused2:). I am running Rotella T 15W-40. Is there any way to be certain the block heater is doing it's job? Also, how long should the heater be plugged in prior to starting? I have no reason to believe it's not working other than a puff of black smoke after long periods sitting.

/ Is my block heater working? #2  
Many times you can hear it sizzling. You can also put your hand on the block or rad to see if they are warm. Many folks have the block heater plugged in for about two hours before starting.:)

/ Is my block heater working? #3  
i agree, 2 hours should do it. I also run Rotella 15-40 and it works fine. Not a big fan of synthetic, but to each his own. The only time i run syn in tractors was when i had big V-8 perkins, and the older tracors needed a little help.

Usually, you can put your fingers on where the block heater is attached to the engine. Feel some warmth there. BTW, for convience I usually leave equipment plugged in over night. i get up at 1 or 2 am. Drive tractor trailer for a living. My big truck, with 10 gals of antifreeze and 11 gals of oil, only uses about $2 maybe $3 of electricity a night. When i order equipment, i spec the biggest block heater available. When it's -40, turn the key and it starts right up. Like it. :thumbsup:

Also, i change fuel filters every time I service equipment. Take you old fuel filters, turn 'em upside down in a clean white bucket. Let them sit and look at what you have in there. You will find water/dirt/etc. Minimal, but it'll be there. Thats a filters job. If not due for a service at the beginning of winter, i will put a set of fresh fuel filters on. Good insurance.

/ Is my block heater working? #4  
A simple method to test the block heater circuit is to plug and unplug it in the dark,there will be a tiny spark if the element is carrying current. Make sure you have power to the plug. There could other problems that can easily found with a Ohm meter to ring through the circuit. E=IxR I x V= W so does this mean
A 120 volt 300 watt heater draw 2.5 amps ( I )
So when you use a ohm meter the black to white wire should have 48 ohm on the circiut if it is going to work.
Craig Clayton

/ Is my block heater working? #5  
you can put an ohm meter on the bock heater cord. If its bad you will have an open circuit.

on a cool day, where its quit, plug it in and listen. As long as work hasn't got to much of your hearing you will hear it, or the misses will

/ Is my block heater working? #6  
Depends on how many watts your heater is as to how long the preheat will take. Also, oil viscosity and battery condition play a big role. I have a 600 watt block heater in a 4000 Ford (no other heat sources) and it will start in about an hour or so after plugged up @ 0 degrees F.

/ Is my block heater working? #7  
Many times you can hear it sizzling. You can also put your hand on the block or rad to see if they are warm. Many folks have the block heater plugged in for about two hours before starting.:)

X2, DEWFPO

/ Is my block heater working? #8  
I plug mine in for 1 to 2hrs before start up, no need to have it pluged in any longer. I also use 15w-40 rotella. On my machines with a heater you can hear it sizzle within a few seconds after it's pluged in. You'll have to listen close and get close to the engine.

/ Is my block heater working? #9  
Use an infra-red hand held thermometer if you have it, they are about $35 or so and are useful for lots of things. You'd aim the laser at the heater area and compare it to another, distant metal part of the engine WITH THE SAME REFLECTIVITY (same color, same material) and compare temps.

Mike

/ Is my block heater working? #10  
Plug it in, wait 30 seconds, then put your thumb on the heater. If it is warm, it's working. If it is as cold as the block, it is not. 99% of block heaters will sizzle within 15 seconds of power-up.