Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
After seeing how XPD did in that test compared to the Howes I bought, I decided to ditch it and buy some XPD. I emailed them and asked what the shelf life of it was, and they replied that there was no expiration if I kept it sealed and in a cool dry place (<75 deg). I ordered a gallon, which should treat 256 gallons. That should last me quite a few years. I was going to buy a couple quarts, but 2 quarts with shipping was $42, while a gallon was only $54.

I'll look up the original thread and post a link... Edit.. that sulfur thread is nearer the top than I thought.. here's the link to the additive study that Ken45101 posted.

Ian

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #2  
Been using it in my 02 dodge and my JD790 for about 2 yrs.

No complaints.

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #3  
Here's a link to the same test Haywire posted, but in PDF form. I find it's a little easier to read. :)

http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

BTW, another product not listed in that test is made by Texas Refinery Corporation, their "DZL-PEP Artic". It has a HFRR score of about 413, so that puts it right up there just above the number three spot. Treat ratio is 1:1000.

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD
Thanks MC... now if the person who made that PDF could spell insignifffficant, it would look more professional. ;) ;)

I wish they had included a random diesel purchase from a local retail pump to give an idea what the score of that is. It would vary of course from distributor to distributor but would give a general idea.

Ian

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #5  
Thanks MC... now if the person who made that PDF could spell insignifffficant, it would look more professional. ;) ;)

I wish they had included a random diesel purchase from a local retail pump to give an idea what the score of that is. It would vary of course from distributor to distributor but would give a general idea.

Ian

Well they did get insignificant right 5 out of 9 times, is that significant?;)

I would love to see more random sample testing of the HFRR score on dispensed diesel...I suspect it is frequently worse than its supposed to be...:(

BTW that Opti-lube better be some good stuff at a $.21 a gallon treat cost. Bio-D (scored better on the lubricity test) at about a $.08 a gallon treatment cost....

$.21 a gallon wouldn't bother me on my fuel sipping Kubota, but I couldn't stand that on my diesel pickup..most of the time I'm towing in the 10-11 MPG range:2cents:

The hitch with the Bio is that it's only a lubricant, so some would still use an anti-gel, cetane booster and water disperser. You can get a bio mix at the pump here, but unless they're using that same soy based stuff for the mix, it won't have the same properties as what was tested.

Ian

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #7  
if a person were to add say 1.5 times recommended amt/ unit of fuel, (ie on a product like Howes) would the lubricity increase or stay same? Increased ratio (according to Howes) does no damage....just thinking aloud. bb

Can't speak for Howes, but I think Opti-Lube says there is no added benefit by using more than the recommended amount.

/ Ordered myself some Opti-lube XPD #9  
Another thing with the Bio is you can't find it as a additive, or at least I couldn't.

I did get a gallon jug of 'Bio' from a guy I work with that makes his own from recycled restaurant cooking oil. Don't know if it's even considered bio in the lines with what were talking about.

I gave it a try anyway and it didn't seem to quiet my injector pump like the Opti.

$.21 a gallon wouldn't bother me on my fuel sipping Kubota

My little Kubota is the only diesel I own. I want to buy a 3/4t diesel PU and a 10k trailer for firewooding, but according to my calculations, that will be 7 more years.... after mortgage is done and after child support stops. I don't want a good used one, I want a brand spanky new one.

Ian